Last time I mentioned that I was upgrading my external optical drive to the Sony PCGA-DDRW3. I did place
an order for it at SonyStyle for $100 and it arrived after two days. This is a great deal by the way since this same drive is $200+ elesewhere.
This firewire drive supports reading and writing to CDs, DVDs, and dual-layer DVDs. Here are the read/write specs:
Read: DVD+R Double Layer: 4X, DVD+R, DVD-R: 8X, DVD+RW, DVD-RW: 4X, DVD-ROM: 8X, CD-R, CD-ROM: 24X, CD-RW: 20X
Write: DVD+R Double Layer: 2.4X, DVD-R, DVD+R: 8X, CD-R:24X, DVD-RW, DVD+RW: 4X, CD-RW: 10X
It comes with two sets of cables - a 4-pin to 4-pin i.Link (firewire) cable and a Vaio i.Link cable. The latter is a special cable for specific Vaio notebooks so you don’t have to connect the drive to a power outlet. Since the port replicator/cradle of the Vaio UX doesn’t have this connector, you have to settle with the regular 4-pin to 4-pin purple cable plus the power adapter.
Cables aside, let me say that this is the best drive for the size, price, and specs you can get for your UX. The UX will let you boot from it, backup, play DVDs, and listen to music CDs. A great add-on.
More detailed pics after the jump.
WordPress database error: [Incorrect file format 'wp_comments']
SELECT * FROM wp_comments WHERE comment_post_ID = '28' AND comment_approved = '1' ORDER BY comment_date
- The Sony VAIO P Series Lifestyle PC
- Custom made low-clearance power plugs for your UX
- Introducing MPCT Power Search provided by Google CS
- DIY Gamepad Controller for the UX
- Don’t worry, I’m not leaving!
- What is the UX383CN?
- Results are in: UX490 running Windows XP is the fastest UMPC in town
- Custom made hardcover screen protector and stand for UX
- VGN-UX491-MCD to include mini-CD drive
- UX490 heads to Korea as the UX58LN