Micro PC Talk Forums

Micro PC Talk Forums (http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hardware (http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Any interest in a low clearance RIGHT angle power cord adaptor (http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3674)

Yeggster 02-14-2008 03:12 PM

Any interest in a low clearance RIGHT angle power cord adaptor

I am thinking about making some low clearance right angle power cord adapters for the UX.

I wanter to guage the interest level ... the adapter would be a simple plug in / plug out cord maybe 6" long

The goal is to make it "low clearance enough" so the UX would not sit at an angle when in it's small plastic stand ... this will require the PLUG that goes into the UX to be custom manufactured ... cost woud be $25.

Is there any interest in this project? By that I mean of course does anyone think a plug like that would be worth $25 to them :)

Yeggster 02-14-2008 03:42 PM

I am thinking about making some low clearance right angle power cord adapters for the UX.

I wanter to guage the interest level ... the adapter would be a simple plug in / plug out cord maybe 6" long

The goal is to make it "low clearance enough" so the UX would not sit at an angle when in it's small plastic stand (the small foldable stand not the dock) ... this will require the PLUG that goes into the UX to be custom manufactured ... cost is planned to be kept under $25.

Is there any interest in this project? By that I mean of course does anyone think a plug like that would be worth $25 to them :)

Sull86 02-14-2008 09:38 PM

I am interested in this, I hate how the UX sits when in the stand.

25 dollars does seem a little steep, is this how much it cost to make ?

Are you making this yourself ?

A guy made a custom one, I think you can see it on the wiki :confused:

Yeggster 02-15-2008 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sull86 (Post 28648)
I am interested in this, I hate how the UX sits when in the stand.

25 dollars does seem a little steep, is this how much it cost to make ?

Are you making this yourself ?

A guy made a custom one, I think you can see it on the wiki :confused:

Yes :) I saw the one on the wiki .. it's actually pretty ingenious .. but in a kind of brute stregth sort of way ...

.. Dealing with manufacturers is tough ... the adapter could be made to order at even a medium sized manufactring facility and retailed pretty cheaply if and this is an important IF .... it could batch manufactured and sold in quanitities of 10,000 units .. and they REALLY much prefer dealing in 100,000 piece lots :(

I an trying to get a place overseas to custom make the zero clearance (UX end) of the adapter in a lot of under 1,000 pieces ... an then I would fabricate the rest localy.

The per piece price is still way to high (even at $25 retail) as I would end up having hudereds and hundrereds of unused plugs left over as I doubt even after a year I woud be able to move more than 100 of them.

I am trying to get a small manufacturing place (what we would consider a home based "cottage industry" here) a friend of mine deals with ... overseas to modify an exiting stock plug to suit our needs ... if so I could get maybe as low as 250 pieces made up.

I'll keep you posted, if anyone else is interested reply or PM me ...

fiveseven808 03-31-2008 10:27 AM

As a highly mobile user of the UX who uses an external battery pack with a 2 inch long stiff power connector, I'm highly interested!

Yeggster 03-31-2008 02:16 PM

Thanks for the interest guys!

It's going to be another month or so and I will at least have a prototype I can take a few pictures of.

Sull86 03-31-2008 03:10 PM

Awesome man, keep me informed...

petervivian 03-31-2008 05:53 PM

I understand the price; considering the small amount of manufacture. Please keep me informed.

Stratrix 04-01-2008 05:30 AM

I'm in!
Will be keeping an eye on this thread. :)

Sull86 04-01-2008 03:41 PM

Well at least we now have a few people interested now.

I will be waiting patiently for the info :)

Did you guys see the home made one on the UXBB site ?