Go Back   Micro PC Talk Forums > Micro PC > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 06-26-2006, 07:55 PM
shirokuro Offline

Default Tips for installing Windows and/or TabletPC OS
Hi all,

I posted the following couple of tips on the "installing Windows DIY style" article but thought I'd open a forum thread for it since that article may disappear from the front page after a while.

If anyone else has tips or experiences from installing OSs on the UX, maybe they could put them here too?

Or if theres already a thread for this kind of thing, please feel free to move this post.

Thanks!

#

Hi all,

To those of you having problems installing the audio drivers - try the following website and the Microsoft KB fixes on there.

http://geekswithblogs.net/lorint/arc.../11/81540.aspx

After installing TabletPC English version, I was able to install all drivers except the Audio. It kept failing with the message “Microsoft Bus driver must be installed before installing Realtek Audio drivers” (or similar message) and I was unable to get audio. Also, in my Device Manager, a PCI device was permanently question marked and I could not install drivers for it even from the AUDIO folder.

I downloaded and installed the fix KB835221.exe from the website above, and as soon as I had done that, it automatically recognised the audio device, and I was able to install no problem. Audio working perfectly!!
I hope it works for you if you’re having that problem.

I had one more problem - after installing Vaio Power Management and then changing my power profile, I was getting the following error - “Windows has closed this app - Data Execution Prevention - Run a DLL as an App”.
After this happened, I was unable to shuit down the PC properly. It would get to “Windows is shutting down….” message and then sit there forever. I would have to manually power off with the power button.

After starting up again, I went into the followign setting: “Control Panel -> System -> Advanced.” In the “performance” section, click “Settings”. In the dialogue which comes up, click “Data Execution Prevention”
Then select the second bullet - “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select” and in the box below, “Run a DLL as an APP” should appear. Check to select it. Then click OK etc as many times to get out of all the dialogs and control panels. You might get prompted to restart - I cant remember. Its probably a good idea to restart anyway.

You might see the “no power down” problem again when shuitting down BTW.

If the “no power down” problem does not go away, then UNINSTALL and then REINSTALL “Vaio Power Management”

That temporarily fixed the power-down problem for me, but I noticed it stiull happened occasionally.

Run Windows Update as many times to pull down all the latest updates and hotfixes. Since doing that, the power-down problem has not reoccurred for me. (But its only been a few hours so thats not definitive that its really gone…..)

Anyway, hope all that helps somebody :-)

One more “TIP” (pardon the pun) for anyone installing Tablet PC OS.

I noticed that the floating TIP would not appear anywhere on the UX-50.

You can fix this by searching for and downloading a program called “floattip”.
After downloading (and expanding if necessary) to get the floattip.exe file, place this exe in “C:\Documents and Settings\\Start Menu\Programs\Startup” and reboot.

After rebooting you might get some message from Windows about “floattip.exe”. Just say you want Windows to start it, and not ask you again. You should now find the floating TIP working as on a normal Tablet PC!