Go Back   Micro PC Talk Forums > Micro PC > Wireless

Unread 01-06-2012, 05:30 PM
telefonche Offline

Default Sierra Wwan Gps Card
Hi all, I own a Sony Vaio UX 390N.I got in it a Ericsson F3507G WWAN GPS card. The issue is that the GPS feature of this Card is available ONLY WHEN there is a SIM card inserted in the SIM slot. This i s not convenient because I need the SIM to be in my phone, and still use the GPS feature of the Ericsson card.
I intend to change the Ericsson WWAN GPS card with a SIERRA Wireless AirPrime WWAN MC8790 3G GPS card .
Can anyone tell me if the Sierra card GPS feature can work WITHOUT a SIM card inserted in the SIM slot?Is there such a requirement to insert a SIM in order to use the GPS feature of the SIerra Card?
Thank you

PS. I am sure that the GPS does not need a SIM card in order to work BUT the Ericsson Card Drivers for some reason need the SIM card to be inserted in the SIM slot.
Last edited by telefonche : 01-06-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Unread 01-06-2012, 08:26 PM
ceehoppy1st Offline

Awards Showcase
100 Posts Spam Spotter 
Total Awards: 2
If you feel like doing a hardware mod- anh had wired the Sony's EDGE modem sim card slot to an internal 3G modem so he could change the sim from the outside. He soldered wires from the UX sim slot to the 3G modem's sim slot (like an extension cord).
Unread 01-08-2012, 11:31 AM
telefonche Offline

Hi thanks for your reply. I do not want to mod the SIM card slot, i already did such mod.The question is if the Sierra card GPS service can work without the need of a SIM card inserted in the slot. I want to use the GPS feature of the wwan card without a SIM card in the slot and ask if this is possible for SIERRA card, because this is not possible with the Ericsson wwan card