Go Back   Micro PC Talk Forums > Micro PC > General

Unread 03-25-2012, 10:12 AM
midnightman Offline

Default Newbie to the UX world
Greetings everyone!

I am new here and I am very happy to now be part of the community, I actually saw the forums years ago but I still did not have any money for a UX at the time so I just went on looking and drooling over the topics here, but finally I could afford it and I have now with me a UX180p I am happy with what I have however, I will need help on a lot of things, I am hoping that my arrival with the UX is not yet late with regards to the downloads the community has, I have a few newbie questions and I hope the veterans will be willing to help, I don't need it to be answered thoroughly (so as not to waste time of the people) I just need a nudge to the right direction so I can read and learn for myself.

to begin it will be

1. How do i reformat the UX? since I want to erase the previous owner's data, (not to mention he might have put something that will compromise my security) and if possible erase the recovery partition so i can get back the space that was alloted for it? if I do that how do I clean install again if ever I have to?

2. Sony does not have support for the UX anymore, so where can I get the drivers for the UX?

3. I would like to have the WWAN unlocked, will it be possible to do it without calling sony? since i cannot call the support because I live in asian country

4. Will it be safe if I bought batteries from china makers? if so from which manufacturer should I buy it from?

Those are the questions which concern me right now so I hope there are those willing to help a newbie out, again I thank all of you for welcoming me in the community I look to get the best out of the UX because I believe that despite being outdated, it still can compete with the new laptop/netbooks coming out these days (not to mention it turns heads because of the form factor)
Unread 03-27-2012, 08:21 AM
harryfokker Offline

Default Ovan said: "Welcome to the WORLD" (SFX: Omnipontent voice)
The title was joking je je je

Hi i know that you are a newbie but if you take your time just a little, read the forum and googling a bit, you can find all your answers, maybe the third could be a more dificult than the others so:

1) i really recomend you Windows 7 is the best OS option for the UX, you can erase the recovery partition with the windows installaltion program, just erase everithing and install W7,use the instrucctions that i left in this Post " http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/sh...0692#post60692 "

2)You are wrong Sony still has official suport for your Model and its here: " http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...d#/downloadTab " but if you are talking about an official suport for another OS thats another question.

Just check the Software section you can find a STICKY post with all W7 driver, hereīs the link: " http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6315 "

3) I really canīt help you because my UX model doesnīt have the wwan modem but im pretty sure that i read in another post that you can call to SONY US for unlock code.

4)This answer is in older post to, try to find it with keywords using the search option.

*I hope this information will help you, let us know if you have another questions.

See ya
OS: 1)Windows 8 Pro / 2)Android X86 4.0.2 Ice Cream Sandwich
Software Mods: SetFsb(CPU Overclock) / GMABooster(GPU Overclock 400MHZ) / Bios Mod(Fixed Video Ram 251MB)

"Anything is acceptable if it leads to a successful result . . ."
Unread 03-27-2012, 09:49 AM
midnightman Offline

@harryfokker

Thank you very much, indeed, there are some of my questions already answered on some of the posts, it is just that some of them have the links down so I could not download, my main worry is if I erase the recovery partition and I want to install windows xp again I could not do it, sorry for being naive, just that I haven't used anything like this before, If I format the recovery of course I could not get it back and there is no way that I could make another right? I would have to install OS via the USB option, am I right here?

Thanks again oh omnipotent one
Unread 03-27-2012, 08:09 PM
ceehoppy1st Offline

Awards Showcase
100 Posts Spam Spotter 
Total Awards: 2
here are some options:
1) get a usb DVD burner & use the Vaio Recovery utility on your UX to create restore discs (note: not all dvd drives will properly boot on the UX- & you have to change some BIOS settings to enable booting from usb devices)

2) order UX180 recovery discs from sony USA, last time I checked, they were availaible for $25US- I don't know about shipping to your country.

3) do a recovery on your UX now (tap Fn and R keys during the VAIO splash screen at
startup to activate the recovery/ restore function). Use a 3rd party backup program like Norton Ghost or Acronis to make an image of your "new" XP partition. Reformat the hdd (I had to use Partition Magic) then restore the XP image- you'll have to edit the boot.ini file somehow in order to boot after you change the partitions around.

4) get another hdd or ssd, then keep the old one as a spare.

good luck & happy UXing!
Unread 03-28-2012, 07:33 AM
midnightman Offline

thanks for the initial help everyone! my main concern is really erasing the recovery partition so I can get more space, I could do a USB flash drive installlation on the UX 180p right? I mean at the bios there is an option to boot it from there so technically I can do OS install from the USB flash drive am I correct? I am sorry for asking very newbie questions, I did some reading, and browsed the site so I am starting to get confident in wiping the recovery and just doing installation from the USB flash drive, I will be trying a couple of OS's and see which one will fit my needs, I primarily want to be using the UX of mine for watching 720p or higher movies.
Unread 03-28-2012, 05:34 PM
ceehoppy1st Offline

Awards Showcase
100 Posts Spam Spotter 
That's how 99% of UX owners install, via usb (DVD, hdd, or flash). In BIOS, go to the Advanced screen & set External Drive Boot to "enabled"- save & exit. Also see if the is an entry in the Boot Order menu for usb flash. The original sony bios didn't support boot from flash- a newer bios release did- but this may not matter as some flash drives mimic usb hdd (as far as bios is concerned). Short form- try booting it & see if your installer comes up.

Last note, if you have a UX dock, you can't boot "usb powered" drives (such as flash drive) via the dock's ports- you have to plug directly into the UX's usb port. This doesn't apply to stuff like DVD drives with AC power adapters.

I don't know if your UX180 has enough "power" to run 720p video. 512MB ram, 1.2GHz core solo cpu, 30GB hdd, Intel 950GMA graphics. There are a number of threads about cpu & solid state drive upgrades, as well as HD video decoder mini-pcie card. Maybe other forum members can chime in on what works & what doesn't when it comes to video on the UX.
Last edited by ceehoppy1st : 03-28-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Unread 04-02-2012, 11:54 PM
midnightman Offline

ok, so now I will not be afraid to wipe the recovery partition, anyway the only real use of a partition will be on the road and all of a sudden you need to clean install windows and there is no other media available for installation, am I right on this?
Unread 04-03-2012, 01:16 AM
harryfokker Offline

Exactly thats right
OS: 1)Windows 8 Pro / 2)Android X86 4.0.2 Ice Cream Sandwich
Software Mods: SetFsb(CPU Overclock) / GMABooster(GPU Overclock 400MHZ) / Bios Mod(Fixed Video Ram 251MB)

"Anything is acceptable if it leads to a successful result . . ."
Unread 04-03-2012, 03:00 AM
ceehoppy1st Offline

Awards Showcase
100 Posts Spam Spotter 
Besides doing a complete reinstall of the C: drive, you could also use the recovery partition to reload individual drivers, utitlities, or programs (bloatware). Most people on this forum just dump the recovery partition & don't look back. I'd still consider doing some type of upgrade, 30GB ain't that big.
Last edited by ceehoppy1st : 04-03-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Unread 04-05-2012, 06:32 AM
jaspercool Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
ok, so now I will not be afraid to wipe the recovery partition, anyway the only real use of a partition will be on the road and all of a sudden you need to clean install windows and there is no other media available for installation, am I right on this?
This is why I set up a USB stick with a windows installer on it, it's set up to auto install and I can be back up with a clean install in less than 40 minutes from the stick.