Go Back   Micro PC Talk Forums > Micro PC > Hardware

Unread 04-22-2012, 09:19 AM
midnightman Offline

Default Dead Battery?
well I have a UX180 and it seems that the battery has already died, though I am not sure

This is what happened, battery was fully drained so I put it on the dock for charging, then switched it on, the flashing indicator was active so I knew the battery was charging, was feeling sleepy so I shut down the UX (turned it off via the turn off option in windows xp not hibernate) and left it on the dock charging, slept for almost an hour and when I woke up the charging light was not indicating that it was charging so I took the UX off the dock and tried to switch on, nothing happened. I thought it was weird but did not give notice, put it back on the dock charging did not go on, took it off the dock plugged it directly to the charger indicator still did not go, but when I try to switch it on while it is plugged it boots fine and works fine, as soon as I pull the plug from it the unit dies.

It was quite hot the time I was charging it so is there any effect on the battery charging that way? anyone has the same experience?

Battery used to have some 1 hour life into it before it went like that.

Is the battery dead that way? please help. thank you
Unread 04-22-2012, 07:05 PM
ceehoppy1st Offline

Awards Showcase
100 Posts Spam Spotter 
Total Awards: 2
The battery has a controller that will shut off the cells if they get too hot or the voltage gets too low. Let it cool then plug it into the UX- boot up on the AC adapter. Click on the power symbol in the task bar & see if the battery is recognized- if not then it likely is dead.
Unread 04-22-2012, 11:34 PM
midnightman Offline

thanks for the reply ceehoppy1st, well I did what you said and it gave me a "battery not present" message, it is only on AC power, so I guess that the battery died?

How do you think it happened? did it get to hot? or what? which is it? the controller broke or the battery just died? I still have not gotten a chance to play with my UX yet and this happened, so now I have to turn it into a desktop, I was hoping for at least half a year before the battery really dies and cannot retain a charge anymore.

Really feeling kind of depressed right now, but I am glad I got answers, well I guess that is life, I just have to look for another battery locally wish me luck
Last edited by midnightman : 04-23-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Unread 04-23-2012, 11:23 AM
bigs Offline

Awards Showcase
500 Posts 100 Posts 
midnightman, maybe you need to purchase a new battery pack from ebay so you can test to see if battery is faulty or the UX charging connector circuit?

how old is the battery in the UX. you can tell by looking by the barcode at the end of the battery. eg 08 denotes 2008 build of the battery. most batteries 2008 and earlier with good use will be close to perishing.

If your battery is the standard battery, that one will perish quicker than the likes of the extended battery which has double the cells.
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard
OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!
sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate
light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:01 PM
ceehoppy1st Offline

Awards Showcase
100 Posts Spam Spotter 
The controller chip I'm speaking of is inside the battery case. Whether one of the cells overcharged or self discharged, something overheated & likely the controller shut down or failed. I don't know how much of the battery/charge control is on the UX mobo vs the in the battery. Short form, get another battery & see what happens.
Unread 04-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Benz145 Offline

Send a message via AIM to Benz145 Send a message via MSN to Benz145
Awards Showcase
Pirate Day 1000 Posts Extraordinary Member 100 Posts 
Total Awards: 7
I have a UX180 and have had two batteries die on me during it's lifespan. I'm fairly certain that the failures are due to heat.

Virtual Reality Blog
Personal Blog

Editor for:
UltrabookNews.com
Carrypad.com
UMPCPortal.com
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:36 AM
bigs Offline

Awards Showcase
500 Posts 100 Posts 
If you are talking about heat, li ion batteries do not heat. That is why it is important that the UX fan profiles be increased to keep the UX components cool.
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard
OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!
sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate
light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:52 PM
ceehoppy1st Offline

Awards Showcase
100 Posts Spam Spotter 
Since the battery is effectively "external", I'm not sure how much effect the UX fan would have on battery temps.