Go Back   Micro PC Talk Forums > Micro PC > Hardware

Unread 04-23-2012, 12:11 AM
midnightman Offline

anyone here from the philippines who could recell a battery for ux180p? as we all know UX's are great devices except for the battery life which is a little sucky, I have mine connected all the time to a power outlet since my battery died on me I was hoping that someone could do a recell for me, well I still do not know if my battery is the one dead or if it is the sensor that is the problem, Looking forward to anyone who could help thanks
Unread 04-25-2012, 05:01 AM
harryfokker Offline

Send a mesage to Anh or Bigs im sure they will help you
OS: 1)Windows 8 Pro / 2)Android X86 4.0.2 Ice Cream Sandwich
Software Mods: SetFsb(CPU Overclock) / GMABooster(GPU Overclock 400MHZ) / Bios Mod(Fixed Video Ram 251MB)

"Anything is acceptable if it leads to a successful result . . ."
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:48 AM
DSD Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigs View Post
yup tmmug1, agree with you there. I too had to disable the auto hibernate sleep modes on my UX when using recelled UX packs. This is probably due to different discharge characteristics of different 18650 cells. I think if one recells with the same spec and same brand Sanyo cells, the battery matere may read the correct value.

Like you said at 1% battery left on the meter, the UX will run perfectly for a good 45 minutes longer before becoming totally exhausted.
did you tried to recalibrate the battery?
you should disable autosleep, discharge the battery as low as allowing by OS and next charge it to 100% without interruption of charge process. this should recalibrate the battery controller to display correct values of charging curves.
this typically works on most batteries with PCB.
Unread 04-25-2012, 05:46 PM
ceehoppy1st Offline

Awards Showcase
100 Posts Spam Spotter 
Total Awards: 2
When I used that procedure on my re-celled pack, I had to disable low power-shutdown (it ran for over 90min at 0% charge). After complete discharge/ recharge, mW capacity & % charge were still incorrect -much lower than actual- (the new cells are 3100mAh vs 2600 stock).
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:56 PM
DSD Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceehoppy1st View Post
When I used that procedure on my re-celled pack, I had to disable low power-shutdown (it ran for over 90min at 0% charge). After complete discharge/ recharge, mW capacity & % charge were still incorrect -much lower than actual- (the new cells are 3100mAh vs 2600 stock).
Hmm... It's a Sony )))))
It seems controller always think about 2600mAh cells capacity.
And it will be bad if it has a cycle counter inside. In that case it can just switch off and shut down at some moment... (((
Sony is Sony, they like to install paranoic protection into different things...
Unread 04-26-2012, 07:23 PM
bigs Offline

Awards Showcase
500 Posts 100 Posts 
abgreed dsd, there is asilly counter of which the total capacity of battery will gradually drop with discharge cycles. Annoying as that makes the meter even less accurate after recelling. Good thing is you do get the receled capacity, but only issue is the battery runs on 0% for like 20 minutes!!

Also thing alot of these higher capacity 18650 cells we get off ebay even panasonic seem to have lower discharge voltages, ie voltage tails off quicker than sanyo, esp if high drained eg laptop ux etc.
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard
OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!
sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate
light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn
Unread 05-20-2012, 07:15 PM
bigs Offline

Awards Showcase
500 Posts 100 Posts 
I think I may have found a way to bypass the silly sony counter!

My extended battery started giving me issues whereby even at 7 volts remaining it would shutoff the ux to protect the battery.

I then decided to experiment a bit and see what happens if one disconnects one of the connectors from the battery circuit to the cells, as there is 3. Removing the one in between the cell banks, ie potential dfference of cells in parallel about 4.2v when has charge will remove the limite3d capacity and give full 38.5mah rather than a reduced total charge value which has accumulated from the old cells as well. The other two connectors to the battery circuit board should still give potential difference 8.4v.

The ux i find so far will still hit a point and hold when battery is getting low, due to the larger capacity cells, ie max capaity design 2600, vs 3100 mah panasonics, plus the discharge profile is different, as the original sanyos hold voltage better during high drain, but now at least your discharge profile can start from 100 % instead of 80%.
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard
OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!
sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate
light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn
Last edited by bigs : 05-20-2012 at 11:29 PM.