Possible Changes at Micro PC Talk (please read)

Site announcements.
Benz145

Possible Changes at Micro PC Talk (please read)

Postby Benz145 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 13:24

So Reggie, the site admin and I, sat down last night to talk about the future of MPCT. We are considering moving the site in a slightly different direction. More specifically, we'd like to expand the scope of the site to include more than just the UX. While the UX will still be extensively covered, we would like to open up the doors to a larger and better (if thats even possible) community. To do this, we are considering covering MIDs instead of just the UX, or just UMPCs alone. While the UMPC definition is a shaky one (some consider non-windows based devices to not be UMPCs), we feel that MID helps define what we'd like to cover. We aren't talking about Intel's MIDs, we are talking about the literal definition of the words. That being - Mobile Internet Device, and quite simply enough: Any device that is designed for mobile use and has access to full desktop class internet.

Anyway, before any concrete plans are made, we'd really like to hear from all of you, our great community. Please feel free to voice any concerns and likes/dislikes about the current site, or improvements that you'd like to see in the future. More importantly, please weigh in on what you'd like the (potentially) new MPCT to focus on, or things that you'd like it to steer clear of.

The real goal is to create a core community like we've done with the UX, which I believe has been a great success. We've attracted a large following of UX users even though there may not be that many to begin with. MPCT has become the center of UX news and information. There are many on these forums who have become UX experts because of the wealth of information contained within the site. Again, we'd love to be able to create that sort of community and magnet of knowledge and news on a larger level, but first we'd like to know how you feel. Please share your thoughts with us.

hazmat

Postby hazmat » Wed Nov 07, 2007 14:07

I think site expansion is a good idea, but I'm not sure if covering all MIDs won't dilute some of the focus without providing significant benefits. The vast majority of non-PC MIDs are smartphones and there is such a diverse set of phones and options I think it will quickly turn into a quagmire of posts like"How can I change the CDMA system ID of my Motorola XXnnXX ?" This may be helpful for the few members who own that particluar piece of hardware, but useless for all others...and more importantly not interesting.

I would vote for covering all UMPCs (UX, OQO, Q1, Fijitsu U810, etc). Even without owning any others I am always interested in reading about other models and their approach to computing. Phones...not so much...just my opinion.

thkimdesigns

Postby thkimdesigns » Wed Nov 07, 2007 14:34

Ill support whatever direction you guys take this, but my main interest is in the UX because its waht I own...

chollatech

Postby chollatech » Wed Nov 07, 2007 14:38

Redefinition doesn't necessarily mean expansion. I just read a story yesterday about the decline in PC sales in Japan, favoring other gadgets - because PC's are "good enough" now. Microsoft is advocating Win mobile smart phone units over "one laptop per child" for the developing world. When I look around Tucson, it's clear to me that given the choice of a phone that accomplishes all the tasks that a PC does, people choose the smallest form factor. I'd say it's inevitable that MIDs or phones will eclipse UMPC's and PC's as we know them. The only thing that won't change are monitor and keyboard sizes - 2D dimensions that is -The brick that is the brain is and will continue to shrink. May as well create an archive.

Aussie

Postby Aussie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 15:52

I spoke about this subject quite a long time ago only to get negative feedback, I'm glad you're going down this path. Good move.
Vaio UX17GP 1.2GHz 40GB HDD
Apple Macbook Air 1.8GHz 64GB SSD

Cyberghost

Postby Cyberghost » Wed Nov 07, 2007 17:21

If we can share all portable devices info, that will be supper. I want more!!!!! please.

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 21:42

I think the site will try to stay away from mobile phones, and stick with devices that are really designed for the internet. In most cases, a phone is a phone first and a web browser second.

xc1

Yes

Postby xc1 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 20:25

The most reasonable path is to keep this web page devoted to small devices such as, Sony’s UX however; expanding the scope to embrace all UMPCs would be good at this point.

It would not be unusual of Sony to kill the UX since there have already been five models of the UX so far and of course, less we not forget Sony’s motto change for change sake. They may or may not decide to give the UX a successor (I hope they do). :rolleyes:

At any rate if Sony kills the UX this forum/page would be dead in the water, with out new blood (direction), there for it should be done to keep this forum alive!;)

computercowboy

Postby computercowboy » Sun Dec 23, 2007 22:11

there will be a successor and it will be awesome.

theghengis

Postby theghengis » Mon Dec 24, 2007 07:59

It's smart to look to the future, and a testament to your work. I agree with haz, though, try to spread out to micro pc's other than the ux, I believe that was the original polint, and thats not there yet. MIDs and UMPC's have two different focus groups, though there is some overlap, spreading your focus too thin before reaching your first goal would be bad. I'm in marketing, and I always tell me guys there are 3 rules to success: focus, focus focus.

Return to “Announcements”