This site eating up processor

Comments & suggestions for the site improvement are always welcome.
Reggie

Postby Reggie » Thu Aug 17, 2006 15:49

Hmm, it loads fast for me. I'm running the site on a dedcated dual xeon server. Are you sure that there are no other software interfering with your browsing speed? ARe you using IE or Firefox?

P996

Postby P996 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 16:45

Reggie wrote:Hmm, it loads fast for me. I'm running the site on a dedcated dual xeon server. Are you sure that there are no other software interfering with your browsing speed? ARe you using IE or Firefox?

I have myself a forum running with almost 10000 registered users (not computer related), using UBBThreads 6.5x from Infopop. In my opinion the best php forum software available. Infopop (they call themselves Groupee now) decided to continue development, a V 7 should be available soon, the beta test already started. UBBThreads is very very fast, it doesn't eat up too many resources and it can handle a huge SQL database.

I'm using IE6 and it works fine for me with other sites but I have to tell you that I'm in Germany, so maybe your webserver isn't connected to a very fast international node. This could explain the slow loading, especially because the loading speed seems to vary from time to time. Now for example it is pretty fast but sometimes I have to wait a couple of seconds until the whole page shows up. I have a 18 MBit line, so no problem here. ;)

Don't get me wrong, it still loads fast but this is a forum only, not a website with tons of pics, scripts, etc., so it should load faster.

Anyway: I like this site a lot, good job. :)

Merciless

Postby Merciless » Thu Aug 17, 2006 16:55

BrunoT wrote:Why don't you just switch off displaying the pictures in your browser? Easier than finding another specialized site this good!

Bruno

that will take away the beauty of a well designed site

much appriciated with the chanege
[size=0]Ming Always Zigzaging Dangerously Along
The key of my success

Drinks, dances and tips at a strip joint -- $500
Entire room service menu (to go) -- $1,000
Seven-year contract -- $10 million
Alabama football -- Price-less
[/size]

Reggie

Postby Reggie » Thu Aug 17, 2006 17:11

P996 wrote:I have myself a forum running with almost 10000 registered users (not computer related), using UBBThreads 6.5x from Infopop. In my opinion the best php forum software available. Infopop (they call themselves Groupee now) decided to continue development, a V 7 should be available soon, the beta test already started. UBBThreads is very very fast, it doesn't eat up too many resources and it can handle a huge SQL database.

Ok, I have to be honest. This site runs with other sites that I also run. The biggest community site that it runs with has 75,000 members. :D http://www.1src.com

P996

Postby P996 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 17:45

Reggie wrote:Ok, I have to be honest. This site runs with other sites that I also run. The biggest community site that it runs with has 75,000 members. :D http://www.1src.com

You may hate to hear this but you really are using the wrong forum software for that many users. I took almost a minute until http://www.1src.com opened in my browser window, even for a "new" site pretty long. Browsing through the site is slow too, especially because there are also many ad links, etc.
vBulletin is a nice forum software but I wouldn't use it for 75000 registered members. ;) And if you're sharing the webserver with other sites using a SQL database, well...you know what I mean.

Reggie

Postby Reggie » Fri Aug 18, 2006 19:05

[quote="P996"]You may hate to hear this but you really are using the wrong forum software for that many users. I took almost a minute until http://www.1src.com opened in my browser window, even for a "new" site pretty long. Browsing through the site is slow too, especially because there are also many ad links, etc.
vBulletin is a nice forum software but I wouldn't use it for 75000 registered members. ]

Sorry, P996. I guess we just have a different forum sw preference. To tell you the truth, I actually upgraded from UBB to vB, about 5 years ago. I got turned of at UBB's performance that time (it was still programmed in CGI). When I did the switch, I never looked back. What I like about vB is it's so customizable and I can integrate a lot of other 3rp party sw to it. If I'm only after speed, I'll go with PunBB.

Return to “Comment/Suggest”