GPD Pocket?? Seems nice..

Talk about general micro PC topics here.
niteman1969

GPD Pocket?? Seems nice..

Postby niteman1969 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 02:00

Hi All,
not been around here for ages, but still a sucker for umpc's , got myself a gpd win recently and then they go and announce the gpd
pocket which looks like a damn shrunken MacBook...

http://www.pcmag.com/news/350896/gpd-po ... -10-laptop

bigs

Re: GPD Pocket?? Seems nice..

Postby bigs » Wed Feb 08, 2017 22:39

Good to see you back into micropc forums!

I would still prefer the GPDwin over this new GPD pocket as the Pockets 7 " display makes it prohibitive to be pocketable. Having a 7" display opens up other options like tablets, and other smaller formfactor laptops.

It would be nice if would share your experiences with the GPDwin, pros, cons etc?

Bigs

niteman1969

Postby niteman1969 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 00:24

Hi Bigs,
good to see the forum back, I must admit I kinda lost interest when I sold my UX1XN.

The gpd win is great fun and definitely feels more powerful than the ux1xn that I had which
I guess has a lot to do with the quad core and 4gb of ram.

I would love to get the GPD Pocket if and when it comes out purely for the bigger screen and
the more professional pc look to it. I can imagine taking it apart and putting a lighted el panel
apple logo into that casing just for shits and giggles and going to a coffee shop. Maybe whilst
wearing a blue shirt with an apple logo on it..... Wonder if it would get in the news / mac rumours ?

Anyway back to the GPD Win....

It is very quirky and sleep and charging feel a bit weird as sometimes it will charge whilst sleeping
other times it will not. If you power it on whilst the power adapter is in, it just goes to a battery status screen
and will not boot into windows until you unplug it.

It seems like it is using a pretty decent mobile phone screen and you have to enable the windows
rotation lock to force it to stay in landscape. The bios however is only accessible in portrait.

The screen by the way is gorgeous but has the same problem as the ux in that everything is tiny.

I have played a few games and emulators and everything works as it should , the dolphin emulator
and mariokart double dash being one of my favourites.

I have even used it to play titanfall, using low spec gamer's tweaks to config files (youtube) and am getting
a pretty solid fps out of it.

I wish it was core m and 128gb of ssd but that is just wishful thinking.

As for the keyboard it is definitely a thumb type keyboard, and I wouldn't want to type a long document
with it, but it is fine for facebook and social media etc.

Battery life is anything from 5-6 hours just web surfing and doing simple things like office etc or
about half that playing titanfall or the dolphin emulator, other emulators that don't tax the system
will get you about 4 hours plus as will watching hi-def videos.

Charging the unit is painfully slow and I would do it overnight if I were you as it can take anything
up to 7 or 8 hours to charge from empty....

All in all it is a worthy successor to the ux for me, as it does everything that I want from a micro pc
and the gamepad functionality is great for gaming, the only caveat being the non-clickable thumbsticks
which makes some games unplayable, as there is no way you are going to get to the l3 and r3 buttons
on the keyboard whilst you are gaming.

It's clamshell design feels very robust and the build quality feels at least as good as a Nintendo 3ds.

If there's anything else you'd like to know just let me know.

bigs

Postby bigs » Mon Feb 13, 2017 01:11

Wow, thanks for the reply. Interesting to hear the quirks you are having with the GpdWin. I guess the kinds of issues you are having are a common to first gen products. Hopefully GPW will fix these quirk for the Pocket!

Although the UX can not be officially considered slow, it is still quite usable. As you can tell I am still using mine. That being said, who knows how long it will last for, and when it will breath it's last. It is for this reason I backup more frequently ;)

Would you say the GPWwin thumb board is better or worst than the UX's? One thin I still like about the UX is it's backlit keyboard, making it fully usable in a dark environment.

niteman1969

Postby niteman1969 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 20:55

Hi Bigs,
I'd have to say the thumbkeys are a little better than the ux, but it would be nice to have a backlit one. However It's good enough
for simple web browsing and the screen is pretty damn nice. However I do miss the ux magnify tool.

All in all I think it was a great , if slightly overpriced purchase. It still surprises me how capable it really is.

However, I will be monitoring the gpd pocket, as I think the 7 inch screen for this old pair of eyes would be much better.

Also I might just sell up everything to make a kick-ass amd ryzen gaming pc soon.

masterfu

Postby masterfu » Tue Feb 28, 2017 08:20

I wanted the GPD Win but I hold off on it because I am waiting for it's soon to be competitor, PGS (Portable Gaming Solutions).

It is an Android phone dual boot with a Windows 10 PC, it has two versions, hardcore or lite. Hardcore is joystick layout with a second screen, lite is joystick layout with a keyboard.

I think that once PGS comes out, GPW better step up their game because it looks like PGS can be a killer gaming UMPC.

ArchiMark

Postby ArchiMark » Sat Mar 18, 2017 01:27

The Pocket looks good to me as I'm more interested in a Pocket computer than a gaming device.

I bought the GPD WIN before learning of the Pocket.

The WIN works well, but thinking selling the WIN to help fund the Pocket .

Mark

bigs

Postby bigs » Tue Mar 21, 2017 04:33

Do you prefer the pocket formfactor over the win?

ArchiMark

Postby ArchiMark » Mon Apr 10, 2017 06:39

bigs wrote:Do you prefer the pocket formfactor over the win?

Sorry for late reply. Didn't get notification of your post.

Well, have only seen the Pocket online, but from what I see, I'd say "Yes", as I'm not really a gamer. So, for me, a practical mini laptop is better for me. Don't need the gaming controls, better to have a larger keyboard for me.
Silicon Valley Digerati
Current: Sony VAIO P (Gen II/2.13GHz)/Toshiba Libretto U100/NewPad Q20/iWatch Pocket PC/Pandora 1GHz/Nokia N900

Prev: Dell Mini9/M1/P1610/Shift/U810/OQO E2/UX90S/Kohji SH6 & Many More...

Return to “General”