Ultimate Ux Mod Thread

Talk about general micro PC topics here.
smnc

Ultimate Ux Mod Thread

Postby smnc » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:27

Welcome to to my thread about upgrading a UX.
I'll be continually updating and modifying the thread as I go and I'm happy to add in information on mods from anyone who requests it.
The thread is to discuss ALL possible hardware and software mods that can be done to a UX. There'll be a master list of all mods, as well as links to the various how-to's/project pages/wiki pages what-have-you.
I'll be posting any mod that I can find on this board or elsewhere and if possible I'll link to the original designer's thread/page. If the cases where there isn't detailed information, I'll try and do write up in the MicroPC Wiki.

[SIZE="3"]Table of Contents[/SIZE]
  1. Hardware Mods for the UX
  2. Software Mods for the UX

[SIZE="3"]Legend[/SIZE]
  • Working projects will be listed in [color="Olive"]GREEN[/color]
  • Works-in-progress will be [color="Blue"]BLUE[/color]
  • Abandoned/On-Hold projects will be [color="Red"]RED[/color]
Refurbished Laptops & BlackBerries
Tall Trees Technology

UX90S - Stock - Windows XP - en route to RunCore China for testing and a new SSD.

UX380CN - Kingspec 64GB SSD Mod testbed:D

P530CH - Just arrived! - Atom Z520, 60GB, 2GB - Windows 7 Ultimate Signature

Toshiba Tecra M9 - Core2Duo T7100, Intel 5350ABGN/WiMax, 160GB SATA, 3GB DDR2 - Windows 7 Professional

Toshiba Portege 3505 - Convertible Pen Tablet, Pentium III-M 1.33Ghz, 60GB, 1GB

Looking for a new pen tablet...

smnc

Postby smnc » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:28

[color="Orange"][SIZE="3"]THREAD UNDER CONSTRUCTION[/SIZE][/color]
I'll continue to edit and update this post to keep it current:D

[SIZE="3"]Hardware Mods[/SIZE]

[color="YellowGreen"]List of working mods:[/color]
  1. [color="Olive"]U7700 Core2Duo CPU by Anh - That's right! 2 Cores of 1.33Ghz Fury![/color]
  2. [color="Olive"]Internal USB hub/3G modem (old version) by Oginger1 - A Classic mod. The 3G part may have been superseeded by the next mod on the list, but the internal USB hub is a cornerstone of serious moding![/color]
  3. [color="Olive"]3G+Voice (E169) by Anh - UX as a phone!? You bet! Plus mobile broadband, courtesy of HSPA![/color]
  4. [color="Olive"]UX Custom Game Controller, by danmiddle2 - UXers need gaming love too! Who needs a PSP anyway?[/color]
  5. [color="Olive"]Replace EDGE modem with a CF Slot, by technogeekchris - A great mod to ditch some useless hardware (especially if you've got/getting the E169 mod). Ditch your crusty EDGE modem today![/color]
  6. [color="Olive"]UX Dock HDD Mod, by sidneylopsides, Benz145, and Sull86 - A great way to add storage to a docked UX! This is the improved version of sidneylopsides original mod.[/color]
  7. [color="Olive"]Broadcom Crystal HD mod by Kissler- Not so much a mod, but working HD video on a UX.[/color] - Needs pics
  8. [color="Olive"]WWAN Antenta for WLAN - Actually a fairly simple mod. Especially useful for those with triple antenna 802.11N cards. Doesn't seem to work with the 1Seg antenna on Japanese models.[/color] - Needs pics

[color="RoyalBlue"]List of planned/in-progress mods[/color]
  1. [color="Blue"]2GB RAM Upgrade, by Anh with help from cimino, smnc, darkerx and more - Looks promising! We've got a potential supplier for the adapters we need. Keep your eyes on the thread:D[/color] - Late planning.
  2. [color="Blue"]Internal GPS Mod - No pics yet, but uses a SIRF III USB GPS and the internal USB hub from Oginger1. Working, but not permanently installed yet. I'll do a how to when I'm done[/color] - In Progress, Works!
  3. [color="Blue"]Intel 5350 WiFi-N/WiMax mod - No pics yet, but it's a 5350 WiFi/WiMax miniPCIe card, with a USB line from Oginger1 USB hub mod wired in. I'll do the how-to for this at the same time as the GPS one.[/color] - Done and working (as far as I know... there's no WiMax near here), needs a write-up to move to "completed" category)
  4. [color="Blue"]Cooler Mod Mark 1 - A modification of the existing CPU cooler, designed to increase efficiency and improve heat capacity by 15-20%. The rough design is done and is now undergoing review/revision. [/color] - Late planning stage. Prototype expected in April.
  5. [color="Blue"]Keyboard Mod - A simple modification of the existing keyboard designed to improve usability. Proof of concept should be done soon.[/color] - Early planning stage. Prototype expected in May.
  6. [color="Blue"]3M LCD mod. Stole this from the MP3Car forum, and it should be do-able, although our LCD's are a bit complicated.[/color] - Not Started

[color="DarkRed"]List of long-term plans/projects on hiatus[/color]
  1. [color="Red"]nVida ION2 - Discrete video on a UX? Yup, that's the plan. 2000 3DMarks isn't going to touch a real gaming system, but it'll beat the pants off a DS or PSP for graphics![/color] - Not Started (Waiting for the hardware to be released)
  2. [color="Red"]Project SATA - Actually a series of concepts and methods of how to get a SATA drive in a UX. Various proofs of concept should be completed over the next 2 months.[/color] - Temporarily on hold.
  3. [color="Red"]BT3.0 - Haven't attempted it yet, but should be simple. BT3.0 mini-dongles should be available soon and then I'll give it a go. Another mod of Oginger1's internal USB hub.[/color] - Not Started (Waiting for the hardware to be released)
  4. [color="Red"]CPU Cooler Mark 2 - This is a whole new CPU cooler design, hopefully twice as efficient as stock.[/color] - Projected start in Fall 2010
  5. [color="Red"]Docked Graphics - My original project to attach a
    standard PCIe video card to the internal miniPCIe slot.[/color] - Currently on hiatus pending the ION2
  6. [color="Red"]L7400 on a UX, by kuen1923 on YouTube - Similar to Anh's U7700 upgrade, but with Intel's more powerful L7400 Core2Duo. Abandoned to to system instability. I may attempt this once CPU Cooler Mark 2 is ready.[/color]
Tall Trees Technology

UX90S - Stock - Windows XP - en route to RunCore China for testing and a new SSD.

Toshiba Tecra M9 - Core2Duo T7100, Intel 5350ABGN/WiMax, 160GB SATA, 3GB DDR2 - Windows 7 Professional

smnc

Postby smnc » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:29

THREAD UNDER CONSTRUCTION
I'll continue to edit and update this post to keep it current:D

Software Mods

List of working mods:
*This section is software mods that require some amount of work to do*
  1. Windows 7 & Mac OSx Touch-Driver, by Touch-Base with instructions by smnc, and initial distribution by darkerx - Yes, a fully working Windows 7-enabled driver for the GUNZE touchscreen, as well as the best touchscreen driver available for OSx! - There is a "Demo" version with a nag pop-up for free and the full unlocked version is available for $28.50 per license (either OS). PM darkerx to get your copy, or try the demo first!
  2. VT on a UX, by ozkaya - A fairly simple hack to get Intel's Virtualization Technology (VT) enabled by our BIOS.
  3. Change VAIO Touch Launcher Background, by Benz145 - A real simple mod to allow for different background pictures in the Vaio Touch Launcher!
  4. Make a Memory Stick "Permanent", by Markymoo at MSFN.org, Lancelhoff.com, and smnc- A very easy to do modification that will allow you to use your Memory Stick as a permanent hard drive in Windows.
  5. Customize Vaio Control Center, by smnc- A little more work than some other mods, but it can be handy.
  6. Scaled XGA in Windows 7, by cimino- Invaluable for those that need XGA on their UX's!
  7. The Model.txt trick, by Sull86 - A moderate hack to allow the install of drivers or updates from any model of UX

List of Homebrew Apps
*This section contains complete software packages - plug and play*
  1. UX Zoomkey Controller - A super-handy homebrew applet that allows multiple functions for the zoom buttons on the UX!
  2. Quick Wheel Launcher, by Benz145 with help from NeoTechni and Rorschach - An abandoned alternative touch launcher
  3. [url=http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7754]UXBB, by Jason[/url]- An alternative to Stratrix's UX Zoomkey Controller. Offers more features, but is more complicated and is not Vista/7 compatible.[/color]
  4. AS Clean, by Alex-IS - A great little utility that can act as a manual "TRIM" command on older non-TRIM SSDs and OSs.
List of Shareware and Add-ons/Plug-ins/Skins
*This section contains licensed shareware as well as various extensions for them*
  1. hm_Touch_m - Big Skin for Winamp, by Heiko Mamsch - A large format touch-friendly skin for Winamp. The best MP3 player interface I've seen for the UX.
  2. Winamp, by Nullsoft - A highly versatile MP3 and video player.
  3. Grab and Drag - Add-on for Mozilla Firefox, by Ian Weiner - A simple utility for Firefox that allows for simple scrolling with the touch screen.
  4. ChromeTouch - Google Chrome Extension, by smilkobuta - Basically does the same thing as Grab and Drag, but for Google Chrome.
List of Driver Packs and Restore Disks
*This section contains driver packs assembled by forum members as well as ISOs of the Original Restore Disks.*
  1. Sull's Windows 7 Driver Pack - Not completely current, but it has everything!
  2. Gabe's Version, a customized version of Sull's Pack - Updated and model-free, but not fully tested yet.
  3. Sull's Windows XP Driver Pack - THE Windows XP driver pack!
  4. Sull's Custom XP CD Creator - Make your own customized System Restore Disk!
  5. Sulls WWAN Driver Pack for XP - The all-important drivers for UX's with EDGE WWAN.
  6. Original Sony Vista Restore Disks, ripped by daniwcc, hosted by smnc - These ISOs were made from a set of Sony System Restore Discs.
Tall Trees Technology

garyperso06

Postby garyperso06 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:52

This is the thread I wanted, a good recap of what you can do with your UX.
UX 280P Windows 7 & UX 91S Windows 7

smnc

Postby smnc » Fri Mar 05, 2010 13:19

I aim to please!
Lots more updates on the way, especially in software:D
Tall Trees Technology

ozkaya

Postby ozkaya » Fri Mar 05, 2010 20:05

excellent summing up smnc, keep up the good work ;)
UX91S (HDD version)
16 gb Memory Stick Pro Duo
32 gb Compact Flash Card
Vodafone k3520 hsdpa modem / fried one of them, one left../yeah! buried the other in..
Windows 7

Knusperkeks

Postby Knusperkeks » Fri Mar 05, 2010 20:09

Excellent Job! :D
MacBook Pro 13" MID2010
Sony Vaio UX380N | Mtron 32GB SSD | Ubiquiti SR71-E | WIN 7
Galaxy Note

smnc

Postby smnc » Fri Mar 05, 2010 21:11

Thanks all!
Please let me know if you see any mistakes or omissions (I specially want to make sure I give out credit where it's due!)

Also, please let me know of any other projects or mods I don't have yet.
I'm thinking about adding in a section in software for commercial/shareware/freeware apps as well as a driver section...

Also..
[color="Yellow"][SIZE="3"]Woo-Hoo! My first Sticky Thread![/SIZE][/color]:p
Tall Trees Technology

sportfisio

Postby sportfisio » Sun Mar 07, 2010 18:48

Congratulations,Smnc!

But I think this could be an interesting mod for this list:
http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2553&highlight=dock

I'd love to add 1Tb on the dock,and have that space when I use the UX as a Desktop...

darkerx

Postby darkerx » Sun Mar 07, 2010 19:05

One of the key 'sticky thread' that was really missing. :)

Thanks a lot SMNC!

By the way, Touc-base are also providing the best 'touch' driver for UX running macosx, and they authorize mixed batch of 10 licenses (windows OR macosx)... maybe you should precise it in this thread...:)
UX490: 'Anh's Design'=U7700/ 128gbssd/ quad-boot(MacosX/W7/Vista/XP)/ cellphone-voice /7.2mbps modem
UX280P: overclocked prototype of the 490
UX1XN: stock=>TVset for my 22 months old daughter
3 Jornada HP728/HP 720: gps/wifi/webcam/etc. dead/closed architecture

Return to “General”