The Micro PC Talk Sony Vaio UX First Impressions Thread

Talk about general micro PC topics here.
sergeyt22

Postby sergeyt22 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:21

ozkaya, souljaboy112 - guys your predictions were right - the device's screen is now dead - the colored lines at the half of the screen and it doesn't turn to normal in any attempt...:-( any ideas to obtain a replacement LCD? I wish was a member of this community anyway...

souljaboy112

Postby souljaboy112 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:59

if ur sure enuff u wont break anything u can take it apart and try to fiddle with the lcd cable and put it back

u should make sure before buying anything if its the lcd or the gfx card tho

if the unit has guarantee or return policy u should send it back asap , clearly it was showing symptons when u bought it(when they were sellin it)
hTC HD2

havingmyperiod

Postby havingmyperiod » Mon Apr 19, 2010 19:28

Yes! I am finally on this thread! I have purchased a UX38GN just yesterday from someone locally, and I am blown away by this device.

I have just installed Windows 7 Ultimate successfully but I am going to have to remove the recovery partition. Out of the 32 GB that I originally had, I now have only 4 GB left. That's not cool. I'm so going to have to clean it up. And installing Windows 7 was a real bitch too. For those who haven't but want to try, use Gabe's driver package and when you get to folder #2, DO NOT INSTALL THE FOLDER 'BC'. That will so screw with your battery.

My impression of it is great. I now want to have more power cables lying all over the place including my bedside and my vehicle, so I can use this everywhere I go. Haha! Hope i don't get sick of this baby anytime soon... :D
[color="Red"]Proud owner of a UX38GN[/color]

cimino

Postby cimino » Mon Apr 19, 2010 19:53

Congratulations!
Of all the people on these forums with an awkward screen name and no UX, you were the one whose tenacity I admired most.

I recommend removing the recovery partition and getting the Touch-Base touchscreen driver, in that order. An additional power adaptor, or two, is a great idea. If you're anything like me, your attention span on your UX will long outlast the battery.

havingmyperiod

Postby havingmyperiod » Mon Apr 19, 2010 21:10

cimino wrote:Congratulations!
Of all the people on these forums with an awkward screen name and no UX, you were the one whose tenacity I admired most.

I recommend removing the recovery partition and getting the Touch-Base touchscreen driver, in that order. An additional power adaptor, or two, is a great idea. If you're anything like me, your attention span on your UX will long outlast the battery.

Hahaha... thanks cimino.. I guess I just wanted this device so bad... I'll come in here everyday and check out as much as I can before I got my UX... like a mother learning how to care for a child before she gives birth.

But just like real life, there's alot of difference in theory and practical.

I'm still learning how to make the best of this little bad boy, and I'm going to remove the recovery partition like you said. 32 GB is really not alot to go around.. I'll be glad to post my progress here when I learn how to nurse this new kid of mine... :o

darkerx

Postby darkerx » Mon Apr 19, 2010 22:19

Hum... first impressions...
I knew nothing about UXs when I bought my first 180 (to try to replace my HP728)... then I slowly discovered its possibilities... then I found this forum, and the incredible guys contributing... my expectations grew higher and higher...

As you have discovered this forum prior having a UX, I hope your expectations weren't too high... and that you will never be disappointed.

Hum... anyway... I know you won't be, as this device is incredible.... :)
UX490: 'Anh's Design'=U7700/ 128gbssd/ quad-boot(MacosX/W7/Vista/XP)/ cellphone-voice /7.2mbps modem
UX280P: overclocked prototype of the 490
UX1XN: stock=>TVset for my 22 months old daughter
3 Jornada HP728/HP 720: gps/wifi/webcam/etc. dead/closed architecture

havingmyperiod

Postby havingmyperiod » Mon Apr 19, 2010 22:48

I've managed to get Windows 7 booted up in 24 seconds. :D

Never thought that was possible! And I've managed to clear all the junk and unwanted stuff in there and now there's 18 GB free from when I've first started. Yay~! I hope it keeps getting this good...... It actually starts up faster than my Nokia phone.. LoL..

BarneyStintson

Postby BarneyStintson » Tue Jun 01, 2010 22:15

Well lets stick to the format of the beginning ;)

Purchased From: Anh
Arrival Date: may 31th 2010

It is smaller than it acually looks in the pictures. I am very surprised!
the core 2 duo processor anh put in :D
the REALLY fast boot up speed
the 3g Modem anh put in :D
the extended battery (use of word lasts up to 6hrs!!)

Dislikes:
sadly it has a dead pixel :(
there are two tiny scratches beneath the display
touchscreen features not available

and a FAT MINUS the wireless lan card: it has intel 5300 and only gets a 100% signal when actually laying on top of the wlan router lol. however i can't do anything with it right now (no internet) till i get another wireless lan card.. that sucks but hopefully it will work after new one installed..
anh suggested broadcom, i read in the forum that atheros is good too.. or just connect the 3rd wlan antenna connector to wwan antenna.. do you guys have any experience about that? i think i'm going to post this question in another thread anyway..

Favorite apps:
stronghold crusader
GTA San Andreas totally rocks :D
more will follow :D

Hearnia2k

Postby Hearnia2k » Wed Jun 02, 2010 08:53

I connected the WWAN antenna to my Dell 1510 (Broadcom chipset) card, and I get much better reception now. The card is half height, so I can't screw in the end of it, but I have not had any issues, as once the casing is in place the card is secure enough anyway.

I think the power management on the card is better, as I think I am getting a better battery life having switched card. The Vaio Smart Network tool doesn't show the wifi card on mine, the only remaining entry now is the bluetooth, and while docked I also see the wired lan.

The switch still turns the wireless card on and off, and the little wlan light still turns on and off too.

chromiumdr

Postby chromiumdr » Fri Jan 14, 2011 21:25

Longtime lurker, finally joined the ranks as the owner of a UX380N in good condition!
No stranger to the UMPC world though. I'm coming from a Fujitsu U810 which I purchased back in 2008...

Setup: UX380N, dock, AC Adapter, Standard Batt, Extended Batt - $500CDN

Purchased From: Kijiji - Local Seller
Purchase/Arrival Date: 6 Dec 2010

The Screen is amazing! Bright and clear. Waiting on a screen protector so I can put the touch options to full use.
My first SSD! - super fast.
Size/Portability - maybe it's all the photos, but I was always under the impression the machine was bigger. This thing's even smaller than the U.
This machine is even easier to port around - slips into any coat pocket with ease.
Like the keyboard a lot - very visible in low light situations.
Upgradeability - looking forward to having anh upgrade CPU on this unit as soon as I can afford to :)

Dislikes:
No dedicated scroll keys like on the U - although the Zoom keys can be remapped, they don't repeat.
(Minor quibble though, in that I can at least open up the UX keyboard and use the arrow keys instead)
Screen brightness is a little quirky - occasionally goes dim when on dock, and brightness settings have minimal effect. Have to take it out of dock to restore full brightness from time to time.
Fingerprint sensor seems to be very finicky. The sensor on the U810 will generally pick up and identify user on 1st or second try 90-95% of the time. The sensor on the UX is very particular about pressure and alignment. Wonder if this has to do with the way the sensor is mounted (the Fujitsu has the sensor mounted in a recessed groove on te right side of the screen bezel - better natural position to glide a thumb)
Unable to actiate/switch to forward facing camera. (need to look into why)
Small SSD - looking to save up for an upgrade. Want to go with a 128GB or 256GB so I can get back to usual configuration (Dual boot Windows + Ubuntu)

Favorite apps:
Evernote
Plants & Zombies
Puzzle Quest 2

Return to “General”