Help with VGN380N Windows Vista Downgrade

Talk about installing other operating systems on the micro PC.
jetbreaker

Help with VGN380N Windows Vista Downgrade

Postby jetbreaker » Wed Oct 10, 2007 03:41

I bought this Micro PC with Vista Business on it. The problem is that Vista as probably most of the other threads have said before, runs like a piece of crap and I've been looking for a way to downgrade to XP.

Can anyone please help me with a UX380N downgrade? I've been reading over the downgrading threads but, none of them are specific enough to tell me that w/e downgrade is available now,can be used with 380N.

If they are please reply.

jetbreaker

Postby jetbreaker » Wed Oct 10, 2007 03:56

I downloaded the Sony UX Windows XP Driver + Apps.rar and I'm not sure if those are only the drivers or does it bring one of the Windows XPs with it?

thkimdesigns

Postby thkimdesigns » Wed Oct 10, 2007 05:57

I have the 380N so I know your situation. I'm no expert so consult with Sull or some of the other guys that are more technically sound, but heres my experience.

1. You need an external DVD writer that works with your UX.
2. You need Windows XP installation CD/DVD
3. You might want to make a recovery CD for your Vista before doing anything else

Next

1. I paid for an Acronis Disk Director download = $50 bucks so I could remove the partition that Sony puts on the computer

2. Restart computer and get into BIOS. I think its Fn + F3 or Control + F3
3. Change settings so the UX boots from CD/DVD Drive first.
3. When ready, put the XP CD into the CD Drive and restart computer.
4. Reformat hard drive and install XP.
5. Get SP2 if you dont have it from MS.
6. Download Sulls XP drivers/applications + other stuff from his instructions and install those according to his instructions. I downloaded the latest one he had for 390N.
7. That should do it! You will be amazed how quickly your UX runs.

I hope I didnt miss any major steps... good luck

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 13:28

All you really need to do is get a working USB CD drive that the UX recognizes as a bootable device. Using a Windows XP CD, do a clean install of XP over your Vista partition. Once that is done, you'll need to find the appropriate drivers for your UX to get everything working.

jetbreaker

Postby jetbreaker » Wed Oct 10, 2007 14:11

Thank you very much. Both of you. I'll go and see if I can obtain a CD/DVD drive

jetbreaker

Postby jetbreaker » Wed Oct 10, 2007 14:18

Oh guys I have another question. I don't think I have windows xp SP2, I have only a windows xp professional, I'm not sure if they are the same thing.

Sull86

Postby Sull86 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 17:06

Welcome to the forum,

Yes as other mpct users have mentioned download my pack, I don't think I have added it to my first post yet, though I will shortly. The links are in sig.

Windows XP SP2 is referring to Windows XP Home or Pro, SP2 is the service pack, SP2 is currently the latest, I would just check if your Windows XP Pro is SP2, if it is not you can download from Microsoft easily. If you would like to check if you CD is SP2 put it in a CD/DVD drive, open Windows Explorer and select the CD/DVD Drive, you will now see a list of files/folders, if SP2 you shall see WIN51IP.SP2.

To answer your first question, yes you can downgrade to XP easily, also with the help of my new pack makes it a breeze, just follow the straight forward instructions and you will be ok.

Suggestions

- thkimdesigns said you might want to remove the recovery partition, I think this is a great idea specially that you will be going to XP and won't need to recover to Vista. I have suggested this also, say for example you ever want to go back to Vista maybe when SP1 or 2 comes around, keep that recovery DVD you made, another idea is you could backup your entire UX the way it is configured right now, this way you can restore back at a later date and have that recovery partition. That is just a suggestion, it might interest you.

- Yes I would suggest getting rid of the recovery partition, you can save a lot of HD space, specially when it will be useless to you using XP.

If you would like more details on how to save recovery partition for later date etc just ask

Bye for now

Sull

EDIT: Not sure if this has been mentioned, my Windows XP Driver and Application pack works for every UX model, if you have one of the newer models 390, 380 UX1XN etc, I have made a modified back with 390N at the end for you folks :)
Sull Support >
-XP: UX driver & app Pack v2.3 [B]Download
[/B]

[color=DeepSkyBlue]-XP: WWAN driv & app Pack v1.2 [/color][B][color=Red]Download[/color][/B]

[color=DeepSkyBlue]-Se7en: UX driver & application pack [/color]Download
-Guide: model.txt for XP and Vista [color=Red]Download[/color]

jetbreaker

Postby jetbreaker » Wed Oct 10, 2007 17:39

Dude thanks a lot man. I appreciate this, you have been very helpful.

jetbreaker

Postby jetbreaker » Thu Oct 11, 2007 04:03

Hey guys, I finally downgraded to XP and everything seems great except for the Network Connections. It doesn't show any of the connections, not local area or Wireless and I dunno if maybe Windows XP didn't have a clean install or is it that I'm missing something. I did install all the drivers and applications from Sull's pack but, I don't know what it is or what I should do.

Sull86

Postby Sull86 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 04:11

Click start, right click mycomputer and open properties, go to hardware tab, click device manager, tell me what you see under network adapters please...

I would like to know if the drivers installed correctly..

Sull

EDIT: did you download my new pack v2 ?
Sull Support >

-XP: UX driver & app Pack v2.3 [B]Download
[/B]

[color=DeepSkyBlue]-XP: WWAN driv & app Pack v1.2 [/color][B][color=Red]Download[/color][/B]

[color=DeepSkyBlue]-Se7en: UX driver & application pack [/color]Download
-Guide: model.txt for XP and Vista [color=Red]Download[/color]

Return to “Alternate OS”