Will this boot?

Talk about installing other operating systems on the micro PC.
Manguitom

Will this boot?

Postby Manguitom » Sat May 09, 2009 16:21

After buying my ux380n and trying vista i got tired of it, so now i'm buying an external usb cd reader for installing xp on it, just curious if this one would the xp install cd: http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-52367956-grabadora-externa-de-dvd-1-semana-de-uso-impecable-_JM

Sorry for the language it's on.

cimino

Postby cimino » Sun May 10, 2009 01:07

It seems that pretty much all USB CD/DVD drives will boot a Windows setup disk on the UX. But if you were using a Sony restore disk, they have issues with many USB CD/DVD drives.

So that one you linked to should work fine for what you want. Just remember to plug it into the main USB port on the UX itself. Not one of the dock ports because booting through one of those doesn't work reliably.

chb402

Postby chb402 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 16:45

when you get that... make sure to get into your BIOS and let it read the external CD/DVD rom before your primary HDD.

sjohn

Postby sjohn » Thu Jun 24, 2010 06:24

A boot is a computer is to load an operating system into the computer main memory or random access memory.Boot is short for bootstrap, which in olden days was a strap attached to the top of your boot that you could pull to help get your boot on.Booting or loading an operating system is different than installing it, which is generally an initial one-time activity.

Return to “Alternate OS”