Noob installing Win7 on ux1xn

Talk about installing other operating systems on the micro PC.
Outtasight

Noob installing Win7 on ux1xn

Postby Outtasight » Fri Dec 03, 2010 22:53

Hi,

Just discovered this forum today and am just waiting for my 3-pack upgrade for Win 7 to finish downloading...

The UX1XN is still my "daily" machine for mail but Vista is really a drag. I'm going to install Gabe's Win 7 driver pack. I'll let you know how it goes...

My UX1XN also does duty in my camera bag. It's handy as a quick viewer / editor for pictures and with my 3G Bluetooth phone it works pretty well on holidays when we need to book hotels and stuff on line on the road.
vgn-ux1xn with 16GB MS, 32GB CF, extended run batt., Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
pcg-c1mhp with 80Gb HD, 384Mb RAM, extended run batt., XP

Outtasight

Postby Outtasight » Sat Dec 04, 2010 19:30

Can't believe how easy that was...

Booted from the Win 7 DVD, using a LG DVD re-writer plugged into the on-board USB. I had to enable external drive booting in the BIOS (press Fn+F2 at power-on). The Win 7 upgrade setup program recognised the existing Vista install and let me do a clean install over the top without asking for the Vista disc or product code or anything.

Win 7 pretty much detected all the basic things: video chipset, mouse, sound, wi-fi, even the touch screen.

Running the Windows Update threw up over 50 updates, including ones for the fingerprint chip, Gunze touch screen, and one specific to the Sony BIOS parser. It also tried to update the Bluetooth driver to a different one (not the original Toshiba one). Reading elsewhere on this forum that I should not accept this as it's the wrong driver, I skipped this update and marked it as "hide" so it doesn't try to install it later. Just right click on the update in the list and select "hide" and it won't ask to be installed again.

Although the Win 7 pointer stick mouse driver works, it's a bit too sensitive to the "press" mode so you keep range selecting things when you just want to move the pointer. I found it easier at this stage to plug in an external USB mouse to do the rest of the install.

Then I followed the instructions in Gabe's package. The version 1.2 pack that I used had that corrupt file in the fingerprint software, but that doesn't mess up any of the other folders that unpack just fine. I didn't install the affected software, so it didn't matter to me. Win 7 discovered the fingerprint chip by itself and the built-in Win 7 fingerprint logon works (I never used the original software for anything more than that). The only thing about the Win 7 fingerprint logon is that it doesn't show any confirmation of it having accepted a fingerprint or not... You just have to wait and see if the desktop appears.

I then started installing the Gabe pack working down the numbered folder list and no problems there at all (no complaints about wrong UX model or wrong OS - it just worked). I skipped the Gunze touch screen driver and the fingerprint driver package as Windows update had already discovered and updated these.

After installing the proper Alps driver for the pointer stick, it works just as it should so that fixed that minor problem.

Gabe's pack mentions that it doesn't include a CF slot driver but I didn't need to find one as Windows found it by itself. I popped in a CF memory card, and it could read it just fine, after the usual flash memory driver auto-loaded from Windows.

The custom buttons (camera, zoom, wireless control, and the touch launcher one) all worked after installing the proper packages. At first, I thought something had gone wrong, as the launcher and zoom buttons didn't work, but I discovered that the buttons are not assigned to anything by default. You have to fire up the VAIO Control applet and in there you can assign the buttons to do whatever you want. I never use the zoom function so I assigned those buttons to be volume controls instead.

Immediately after finishing the install, the camera utility didn't work (the system tray icon didn't appear), but after running the program manually and then rebooting, it seemed to sort itself out. Now the utility runs whenever I use the camera capture program or other programs, like Skype. I can switch between the front and back cameras just fine.

After configuring all the on-board devices, I plugged the UX1XN into the dock and it discovered the LAN and other USB hub ok. The LAN performance seems a bit slow sometimes (the wireless was fine). Not sure about that yet. The LAN works over a HomePlug Ethernet over AC wiring thing so it could be just poor performance on that link.

Now it's just a case of re-installing all my other apps.

First impressions are that the machine is much more responsive than under Vista (although most machines run fast when newly built...).

Just a surprise that Sony insisted so vehmently on their web site that this machine can't be upgraded to run Windows 7... Just their campaign to make us buy new kit? Or too lazy to test their own drivers again?

Any way, I'm a happy bunny right now :D
vgn-ux1xn with 16GB MS, 32GB CF, extended run batt., Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit

fem

Postby fem » Sat Dec 04, 2010 21:20

Great. And thanks for sharing your experience. It will be helpful for others too! :)
Screw iPhone and Blackberry!
Sent from my Sony Vaio UX :p

Vaio UX280P (stock; super mint - for sale)
Vaio UX490N (stock; super mint - for fun)
Thinkpad X201 (for work)
Asus R2H (stock w/ 2GB RAM; super mint - for sale)
Vaio X505ZP (Anh-treated: Pentium M ULV 773@1.3Ghz & Mach Xtreme Technology 30GB SSD; mint enough - for ever)

computercowboy

Postby computercowboy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 05:32

I'm glad Windows 7 is working for you. I went back to XP a month or two ago, can't remember why, needless to say I don't love XP. I'll probably go back to 7 soon.
Z1290X: i7 | FHD | 2x Intel X18 RAID0 320GB | 8GB RAM | Carbon | BIOS Hack | nVidia 280.26/3D Vision | Intel 6230 WiFi/BT 3.0HS | Gobi Unlocked | GTExpress WWAN | ViDock4+ GTX570 | DELL U3011 | Ext Batt | Z-Dock & VAIO USB Dock | VAIO BT Keyboard | Razor Orochi
P11SKX/Bl Signature Black Crocodile
P688E/N: Gold | Gobi Unlocked | Ext Batt | VAIO Gold Mouse
UX490N: Core2Duo Mod | BIOS Hack | Broadcom CrystalHD | SIM Unlocked | Ext Batt

Outtasight

Postby Outtasight » Mon Dec 06, 2010 13:13

Thanks for your comments.

Curiously, some kind of other Windows Update (not sure which, as I installed MSN Messenger Live 2011 and a bunch of things) caused a fingerprint logon icon to appear. So now it actually does ask for a fingerprint scan and confirms if it worked.

The LAN issue persists, and looking at the performance tab in Task Manager, it seems like when the wired connection stalls, the Wi-Fi link kicks in to help, but as the signal is very poor in that part of the house, the link grinds to a crawl (but at least it doesn't drop). It used to work better on Vista, so I might try disabling the Wi-Fi when it's in the dock in case Win 7 is wigging out trying to bond the two flakey links together. It might dither less if it's only got one flakey link to contend with :rolleyes:

Windows hasn't gotten much better at managing networks in recent years. Vista refused to connect to a Wi-Fi station unless it was broadcasting its SSID. XP used to be able to connect to a base that was silent. As Scotty once said, "The more they upgrade the plumbing, the easier it is to block up the drains."

My Sony Bluray player totally doesn't like the AC Ethernet bridge when playing YouTube videos, as it only has a small read-ahead buffer that often runs out.

computercowboy

Postby computercowboy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 22:31

your problems are probably more related to the LAN AC than a software issue on the UX

Outtasight

Postby Outtasight » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:12

For the benefit of those trying out the Win7 install, here's a link to the thread and post with the link to the driver pack I used:

http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=48825&postcount=50

Also serves as a reminder to me so I can find it again without having to trawl the whole thread :rolleyes:

BTW, it's all still working beautifully and the UX1 is now my main lounge PC. I've got it plugged into a 32" LCD TV (that has a VGA port). I can watch YouTube and BBC iPlayer and browse the net and do my email (the machine runs MS Office 2007 quite well). If I need to go mobile I can just lift it out of the dock on the TV stand and it automatically figures out that the internal LCD needs to come back on... I'm using a Logitech USB wireless keyboard and mouse, plugged into a spare port on the dock that works great from the sofa.

No crashes to date and runs better than it did with Vista.

The only problems I've had are an original problem with the UX1 - the painfully slow CF card slot (all but useless for accessing memory cards) and the not so great Sony (Texas Instruments) MemoryStick slot that doesn't support 32GB cards. I only found that out after buying one :mad: ). It only recognises the first 16GB. The 16GB card I'm using works fine. No updated drivers / firmware from Sony or TI to fix this. Don't ya just love Sony :rolleyes: Curiously, my much older C1 notebook does work with the 32GB card! I'm thinking about just using a 64GB USB memory stick in the side port (HP do a very low profile one that only sticks out of the USB port by a few mm).

I recently bought a Sony portable BluRay re-writer but the UX1 sadly doesn't have enough muscle to play BluRays, although it can handle DVDs just fine. I use the BluRay on another Core i7 machine that does have enough muscle to play BluRays.

flint1066

UX1 and Windows 7 Ultimate

Postby flint1066 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:19

Hello Outtasight,
Many thanks for posting this link.
I downloaded the exe and it worked great for getting the touch launcher and zoom buttons working!

FYI - I now have Windows 7 Ultimate, Office 2010, IE9, Google Earth and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004, all patched to latest and running well! I have ordered a wireless game controller to use with the FS2004. This UX1 is just just great!

Only thing I'm not sure is working, is the Bluetooth.
I can toggle the WLAN and Bluetooth off/on but can't detect the UX1 (from say my BlackBerry smartphone) when Bluetooth is 'supposedly' running. There seems to be no other settings for it? Not a big problem as I don't think I would have much use for it anyway.

The UX1 was bought off eBay from the UK and mailed to me in Tasmania, Australia. The Australians only had the spinning HDD version and I always wanted the SSD one when I lived in the UK (but it was too expensive back in 2006).

Anyway....thanks to you and all for this forum!
Regards,
William Flint
flint1066
Tasmania - Australia :D

flint1066

UX1 - Windows 7 and rear camera

Postby flint1066 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 00:57

Hi all,

I finally got the Bluetooth working by uninstalling and reloading the BT drivers.

The rear camera does not seem to work / get detected.....anyone any ideas?

I've tried reinstalling the Camera Capture Utility drivers from the Gabe 1.2 package but with no joy. Version 2.5

The settings tab for selecting the camera, only lists the front facing one. :(

Thanks for any help.
Regards,
William Flint
(flint1066)

ceehoppy1st

Postby ceehoppy1st » Mon Jul 18, 2011 23:54

Check services in Task Manager to see if VCUServe.exe is running- that's what switches cameras front to rear. You can manually launch it from Program Files\Sony\Vaio Camera Utility.

Usually you can fix most camera problems by reinstalling VCU, VCCU, & Sony Image conversion filter. I seem to remember you have to install the older(?) version of VCCU first before going to 2.5 (it's been awhile since I did my Win7 install)
UX280 U7700- ssd of the day - hardware test toy
UX37GN stock- U1500-hdd

Return to “Alternate OS”