Windows 8 Release Preview

Talk about installing other operating systems on the micro PC.
harryfokker

Windows 8 Release Preview

Postby harryfokker » Fri Jun 01, 2012 17:52

Hello guys, as many of you know since last year im looking very close the evolution of the next OS from the guys of Redmon and how Works on the Vaio UX , Microsoft Windows 8 i want to start with a quick resume of my previous experiences with this system and then talk you about my first look about the Last reléase that cames to life on May 31st 2012

[SIZE="1"]Developer Preview:[/SIZE]The first Beta preview of W8, everything which came before was just an alpha state, this was the first real prototype of this new OS, Metro interface, Ribbon on everything, Apps, etc. On the UX only basic drivers and options Works, forget special buttons, camera button or Gunze W7 Tablet Driver, the system Works good by a first taste, on that time we still have the Start button .

[SIZE="1"]Consumer Preview:[/SIZE]Works really well, full W8 experience, Metro and Ribbon the only way to work and imposible to disable it, good bye Start button will miss you forever; new App Store, notifications, Charms Menu everything more integrated with my Windows Live Account.. On the Vaio UX works flawleesly, i really love it, everythings Works, every driver, program, Special Button, the 2 Cammeras, everything, exept the Gunze W7 Tablet Driver again, that doesn´t botter me, i was really happy with this Consumer Preview because it uses the same RAM and CPU than Windows7.Only 4 languages avaible so bad.

[SIZE="1"]Release Preview:[/SIZE]Impresive, after a clean installation and all drivers ready i can install all special Vaio programs, special buttons etc. Budies i have to say im really falling in love of Windows 8, the new metro Apps has many improvements, and more integrated to my system, no lag, fluid, i don't miss the Start Button at all is faster for me using windows search just press windows button and type whatever you desire, i use more the metro Apps, contacts, mail and calendar are now my new best friends, the integration with Videos and Photos can be improved more but i really think that MS has a pair of surprices with that on the final version, Good Bye MSN Messenger, Contacts App is more than enough to comunicate with my friends of MSN, TWITTER AND FACEBOOK of course, Peopple App is nearly perfect and fast almost all Facebook and Twitter options are on this Desktop client, i will love to MS is they improve the Music App less full screen and more background but with control.

On the Vaio UX, By the first everything Work, Bluetooth Wifi Switch, the 2 Cameras works perfect, camera and zoom buttons, biometrics, etc, as always ther Gunze Tablet W7 driver doesn`t, the Vaio Touch Launcher not work properly but that happens on W7 to; the zoom buttons software works bad to but that is not important to me because i use it for another functions, everything else works really good. Im very pleasant with this OS, with all my programs installed, Office, Apps runnig in background and even MS Security Esentials, my minimum free Ram at startup is around 60 porcent, and only a 5 porcent of CPU ussage.

Follow my advice the Firmware Parser Driver y very very important, i could't get any installer which work so i tried to install it manually, just go to Device Manager, right click on Firmware extension Parser or check the uknow devices is one of them,just right click, properties, controller, update, select the folder where the uncompressed driver is and that's all folks.

A final recomendation, do the Regedit resolution Intel Driver Mod an use 1024x768 Res, then increase the DPI to 150% at all, or you can try a new W8 feature thats increase the DPI per element you can chose between : Titles Bar, Menus, Mesage Windows, Icons, information tools; all of those DPI values can been set individuallity wwith this you can enjoy the full W8 experience all the time :)

By first time i really recomend this OS, Spanish Language was a nice touch cause im Venezuelan and my english needs practice je je, please give it a try guys :o

[ATTACH]1580[/ATTACH]

[SIZE="2"]
------------------Touchpanel Test UPDATE 07/18/2012----------------------------------
[/SIZE]

Hello Guys i made another test intalling again Windows 7 and al the Drivers inlcuding the Gunze Tablet 100 Clicks limitation, everything Works good as usual the touch funtions where all there so i did a Windows 8 Update Installation, i have to say that im not a fan of carrying trash from my previous OS but for this test i do it to check if W8 could mantain the Tablet capabilities during the process and the anwer is: NO.

Im very dissapointed with this,the driver Works like the normal but with 100 clicks limitations no Pen and Touch functions where activated on Control Panel, no invisible cursor and no Windows menú Dragging. For a while i thought that it could be the Hardware 2 multitouch points requeriment of W8 after i see a HP TX2000 Tablet PC older than our Vaio UX with only 1 touch point can use the menus and draggin on this OS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g74rQZWVhPQ) thats really anoying me.

I have like 6 months asking for anyone who has the Full versión of this Touch Driver to please TEST Windows 8 and tell us if Works?? im not found any answer, i think that the first really focus Microsoft Touch OS is here and we are not giving it any chance. I know that many of you are going to say to me that Linux is the future and etc, but im just asking for the people that pays 30 bucks on a single driver to make a test of your invesment please. I will reinstall a fresh copy of W8 and continue my tests for a couple of weeks or maybe less, im really curious about of Windows Fundamentals for Legay PC'S and i wanna give it a try, i think that W8 on the UX doesn´t has more misteries to me for now.
Attachments
w8 mem ussage.jpg
UMPC: Sony Vaio VGN-UX480FN
Hardware: Processor: Intel Core 2 Solo 1.060 Ghz(Overclockled to 1.160Ghz) / SSD: 48GB / Ram Memory: 1GB
Details: CF Slot / Bluetooth / Extended batery / GPS Receiver / Black Housing
OS: 1)Windows 8 Pro / 2)Android X86 4.0.2 Ice Cream Sandwich
Software Mods: SetFsb(CPU Overclock) / GMABooster(GPU Overclock 400MHZ) / Bios Mod(Fixed Video Ram 251MB)

"Anything is acceptable if it leads to a successful result . . ."

bigs

Postby bigs » Sat Jun 02, 2012 00:06

nice work harryfokker, look forward to seeing win8 in action on the ux. Especially like how both web cams are working! Hope they fix the touch panel as I suspect it will be beneficial for metro and ribbon functions.
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard
OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!
sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate
light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

starbuck3

help for resolution screen

Postby starbuck3 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:22

hello ,

i have upgraded my ux380 from win 7 to win 8

but i can't have the win 8 menu because my resolution screen is too low

i have change the regedit downscaling and reboot but nothing change my higher resolution

is 1280*600

someone have a solution ???

thx

harryfokker

Postby harryfokker » Wed Jun 06, 2012 21:07

starbuck3 wrote:hello ,
i have change the regedit downscaling and reboot but nothing change my higher resolution

is 1280*600
someone have a solution ???

thx

I think that you mean "1024x600" , if you wanna get the 1024x768 res do the regedit downscaling trick on all folders that the picture shows. Let me know if this help you,

Attachments
Regedit.jpg

Hardware: Processor: Intel Core 2 Solo 1.060 Ghz(Overclockled to 1.160Ghz) / SSD: 48GB / Ram Memory: 1GB

Software Mods: SetFsb(CPU Overclock) / GMABooster(GPU Overclock 400MHZ) / Bios Mod(Fixed Video Ram 251MB)

harryfokker

Postby harryfokker » Wed Jun 06, 2012 21:13

starbuck3 wrote:hello ,

i have upgraded my ux380 from win 7 to win 8

thx

Please tell me if on W7 you got intalled the W7 Gunze Tablet Driver ( http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7742&highlight=gunze) and after upgrading W8 Relesase Preview is still working?? .

Please let me know it. Thanks

harryfokker

Postby harryfokker » Wed Jun 06, 2012 21:49

[SIZE="3"]Updated Review, look the first post :)[/SIZE]

bigs

Postby bigs » Fri Jun 08, 2012 01:49

no fix for the touch panel yet?
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard

OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!

sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate

light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

harryfokker

Postby harryfokker » Fri Jun 08, 2012 05:46

No for now no my friend, i hope to make more tests ;)

FiveOhFour

Postby FiveOhFour » Sun Jun 17, 2012 00:45

What exactly is lacking from the touchpad functionality in your driver? i believe i have full fnctionality at the moment? what would be something i could easily test that its not doing for you that it would do if i have a working driver?

- or am i reading to far into it and you have no touchscreen funcionality at all, if you tap the screen the mouse doesnt move there or anythiing ? Mine seems to think it would work with a tablet pc pen and recognize clicks and all that but that must be a driver error right?

Update- On a separate note, after doing the registry edit trick and raising my resolution to a more standard 1024x768 , i am still having problems with metro interface, only now instead of saying the resolution is to low, it flips the tile open for a second and then just as quickly closes it, the only thing that will open in metro UI is Internet Explorer and if i do that the mouse pointer jitters back and forth rapidly until i close it. Strange.

harryfokker

Postby harryfokker » Sun Jun 17, 2012 05:42

Hello, with the old xp/Vista driver theres no issues at all, but with the last Windows 7 Gunze Touch Pannel Drivers what gives all tablet functions to the UX is what i have the problem, the calibration doesn`t work, the configuration program cannot communicate to the controller i hope whens Windows 8 arrives on it's final state all Windows 7 drivers and most importantly this will work perfect, for the record im using for my tests the 100 clicks limitation driver, i don`t know if the full version works

If someone in the forum can test the full driver version , please let me know, i only will buy this driver if works on Windows 8 so please the owners of this driver test Windows 8 release preview for a while.

That problem happens to me on Consumer preview and was a language issue, tell me which languages are listed on your system??

Return to “Alternate OS”