Ubuntu on Vaio UX

Aussie

Ubuntu on Vaio UX

Postby Aussie » Wed May 02, 2007 12:22

Yesterday just for fun after reading about Dell installing Ubuntu (Linux) on a selected line of their PC, I though I'd download it and install it on my UX.

WOW! Ubuntu is everything that Vista wants to be.

I had Ubuntu downloaded, installed and was surfing the web (via wifi) in an hour! Incredible! It just worked no stuffing around with drivers or updates or crapping around.

I have never even touched Linux before this. I've never been a Linux fanboy.

Ubuntu is fast, really fast. I had my UX running the fluid style interface with 3D cube desktop changing and it went like a rocket using very little ram and cpu.

Ubuntu detected and worked immediatly with the Vaio's 1024 x 600 resolution and you can also rotate the display.

Sony take note.

Considering that you can run more softare on Ubuntu than on Vista, and it's quicker and lighter and slicker and....

Microsoft take note.

MeanSquare

Postby MeanSquare » Wed May 02, 2007 13:14

Umm. "You can run more software on Ubuntu than Vista?" Quantify please.
MeanSquare
--------------
[color="YellowGreen"]UX390N[/color] [color="Cyan"](Core Solo U1500 (1.33GHz), 1GB RAM, 32GB Solid State Drive)[/color] [color="Yellow"]clean installed with Windows 8 Beta [/color]
[color="YellowGreen"]UX90S[/color] [color="Cyan"](Core Solo U1400 (1.2GHz), 512MB RAM, 30GB Hard Drive)[/color] [color="Yellow"] clean installed with Windows 8 Beta [/color]

Aussie

Postby Aussie » Wed May 02, 2007 13:17

What runs on Vista? Other than windows calculator?

:D

Well, let's make this difficult for me, start with high end software apps:

Maya
Vista: NO Ubuntu: YES

XSI

Fusion

:p

MeanSquare

Postby MeanSquare » Wed May 02, 2007 13:31

So, we have 3 apps that run on Ubuntu that don't run on Vista.
How many apps run on Vista that don't even have Unix versions?

I'm not saying that you're wrong when it comes to your own needs/wants. What I'm trying to point out is that "more" probably isn't true, where "more of what I want to run" would be in your case. The most common fallacy in human beings is to assume their wants and needs are universally true. They aren't. For me, Vista runs the software I want to run and Ubuntu won't.
MeanSquare

--------------

[color="YellowGreen"]UX390N[/color] [color="Cyan"](Core Solo U1500 (1.33GHz), 1GB RAM, 32GB Solid State Drive)[/color] [color="Yellow"]clean installed with Windows 8 Beta [/color]

[color="YellowGreen"]UX90S[/color] [color="Cyan"](Core Solo U1400 (1.2GHz), 512MB RAM, 30GB Hard Drive)[/color] [color="Yellow"] clean installed with Windows 8 Beta [/color]

Aussie

Postby Aussie » Wed May 02, 2007 13:39

MeanSquare wrote:So, we have 3 apps that run on Ubuntu that don't run on Vista.
How many apps run on Vista that don't even have Unix versions?

I'm not saying that you're wrong when it comes to your own needs/wants. What I'm trying to point out is that "more" probably isn't true, where "more of what I want to run" would be in your case. The most common fallacy in human beings is to assume their wants and needs are universally true. They aren't. For me, Vista runs the software I want to run and Ubuntu won't.

I don't know any app that I use runs on Vista.

Ubuntu runs with a pretty GUI on basic PCs, Vista you need to buy a new PC. Ubuntu is free, Vista...

:o

MeanSquare

Postby MeanSquare » Wed May 02, 2007 13:42

I didn't buy a new PC.

"I don't know any app that I use runs on Vista." So, you can see what I'm saying? You don't know any app that _you_ use (that) runs on Vista. (Ubuntu is the right choice for you. Keep using it. Just don't assume the rest of us have needs/wants identical to yours.)

That said, I would certainly have preferred to simply install Vista and have it work without hunting down all the additional drivers. Are you saying that Ubuntu has the drivers for the camera, fingerprint reader, and other hardware on the UX? That is nice.
MeanSquare

--------------

Aussie

Postby Aussie » Wed May 02, 2007 13:45

MeanSquare wrote:I didn't buy a new PC.

But you had to buy Vista?

MeanSquare

Postby MeanSquare » Wed May 02, 2007 13:49

"Had to" not exactly, but I get your meaning. I chose to upgrade and I spent money to do it. Ubuntu is free. It may be one of those exceptions to the rule that "you get what you pay for (and free is worth every penny) :) )

Wow. This is almost like real-time here :)
MeanSquare

--------------

Aussie

Postby Aussie » Wed May 02, 2007 13:52

MeanSquare wrote:I didn't buy a new PC.

"I don't know any app that I use runs on Vista." So, you can see what I'm saying? You don't know any app that _you_ use (that) runs on Vista. (Ubuntu is the right choice for you. Keep using it. Just don't assume the rest of us have needs/wants identical to yours.)

That said, I would certainly have preferred to simply install Vista and have it work without hunting down all the additional drivers. Are you saying that Ubuntu has the drivers for the camera, fingerprint reader, and other hardware on the UX? That is nice.

I never looked to see the camera or fingerprint reader working. I played for an hour and then went to bed (it was late). But in that hour I got it installed (which involved pressing [Enter]) and then I flicked the Wifi switch on my UX and was online immediatly, no mess no fuss. After than I got in to bed and went to sleep.

Good point about the other drivers. Maybe someone else on this forum may know something. I though for an hour I did pretty well.

MeanSquare

Postby MeanSquare » Wed May 02, 2007 13:59

Just out of curiosity, I know there is a program that allows you to simultaneously run Windows and OSX on an Intel Mac. (The program is actually distributed by Microsoft). OSX is Unix based. Is there something similar that runs on Ubuntu or more generic Unix? (_Not_ an emulator, but something that would run an actual version of Vista)

To be sure, there are a number of reasons that I would prefer to run something Unix-based. The only things that hold me back are being able to assist my peers with Windows computers and being able to run the software I need/want to run. More and more software is being cross-developed for at least some flavors of Unix.

I agree with your original point that Microsoft should take notice.
MeanSquare

--------------

Return to “Linux OS”