The Long awaited Ubuntu Install Guide (based on a Gutsy Gibbon installation)

lordkoba

Postby lordkoba » Mon Apr 07, 2008 16:46

danmiddle2 wrote:Not sure if anyone is interested, but I have the fingerprint scanner workingish, but with errors so it's not actually useable. anyone who wants to assist, let me know and I will post details.

I have also got the extra buttons (zoom and the one on the left) workingish... again with problems... but if anyone would like to help work through the problems at the same time then I will post current details.

Otherwise I will post when I get stuff working properly.

You should make a thread about it and post what you have got so people can take a look at it. Maybe someone knows the solution for the particular problem of that particular step that's blocking you.

VeiSong

Postby VeiSong » Mon Apr 21, 2008 21:11

How long does UX work with single capacity battery? (I installed SUSE 10.3 and had only 1:40 hour maximum, but on XP typing in word also, I could work for 3 hours)

diJenerate

Postby diJenerate » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:59

VeiSong wrote:How long does UX work with single capacity battery? (I installed SUSE 10.3 and had only 1:40 hour maximum, but on XP typing in word also, I could work for 3 hours)

I get about 1:20 hour when I use the WWAN for internet access in Linux. Since Sony does not support anything other than WinXP/Vista, there is no power management util and no set of specific drivers to take control of the power management features of the UX outside of Windows.

Basic problems:

1. screen does not auto dim after a suspend to Disk/RAM until next reboot

2. Ethernet chipset is not powered down automatically when the system is taken off the docking station

3. Wifi is not auto-powered off (not just unavailable by unloading module but cutting power to the Mini-pci board) when using WWAN.

Those things waste power and Sony's battery life performance in windows is only achieved by their strict power management rules achieved by their own software and driver combination that no-one has replicated under Linux as yet. Granted all this can all be done manually, it is usually too much work in reality to do each unplug so a GUI config tool and a bunch of scripts working in the background would make life easier... any volunteers to write it (I'm too busy right now).

diJenerate

VeiSong

Postby VeiSong » Tue Apr 22, 2008 19:02

You are right) That's why my main OS on UX is still windows XP. I wish it was Suse 10.3. =) sweet dreams...

orpheus

Postby orpheus » Mon Apr 28, 2008 15:02

I've created a power optimization tutorial for Linux users:

http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=31998#post31998

With these tweaks, I easily get 2 hours off the grid with normal/heavy usage and no idle time...
Sony UX390N (Ubuntu 8.04 Ultimate Edition)

Return to “Linux OS”