Help with Ubuntu 11.04?

Clank

Help with Ubuntu 11.04?

Postby Clank » Tue Jul 12, 2011 18:09

I just installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my UX380N. Touchscreen works although it is uncalibrated. touchpad works as well but is extremely sensitive on touching it (I.E it likes to highlight everything as soon as you touch it). Had no sound, but i eddited a file that i was instructed to from another tut and the sound worked, but now my Wifi is acting weird. I say the because it was working pretty good right off the bat and then i did that, got sound, but the wifi will connect occasionally and then other times takes 5-6 reboots. If anyone could please help me get my UX running well (as in all the drivers nessecary to get all hardware stuffs working) with Ubuntu, I would be very thankful :D Also if someone could help me with getting Java to work in Ubuntu, that'd be great as I cannot seem to find it nor run any java program :(. Thanks again :D

bigs

Postby bigs » Tue Jul 12, 2011 20:11

please check old threads with regards to calibrating the screen digitizer. The sensitive touch stick I have not figured out yet. As for the wifi, the built ni wifi has never been that strong on the ux. Even Windows showing 2 bars, really meany 1 to no bars. Best bet replace wifi with one that has better gain. For java it comes with some open source java. you must unisntall this and install Sun Java.

here is how to install sun java

http://java.dzone.com/articles/sun-java-6-ubuntu-1004-1010
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard
OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!
sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate
light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

Clank

Postby Clank » Wed Jul 13, 2011 02:36

well see, the wifi was working before i fixed the sound. Id get around 2-5 bars with my current wifi. I have WPK-PSK[TKIP] + WPA2-PSK[AES] for password. Now when i boot, i check the wifi and it just says disconnected. Also im looking for any updated drivers and stuff like that that i need. Thanks for the reply also :D it is very appreciated.

Clank

Postby Clank » Thu Jul 14, 2011 07:22

I installed Ubuntu from USB if that changes anything. I have no USB Disk-drive available for use sadly.

bigs

Postby bigs » Wed Jul 20, 2011 23:16

software that would be handy are as follows

webcam r5u70 driver to get it going.
Skype 2.1 as opposed to later 2.2 as 2.2 stuffs up the webcam
fingerprint-gui to get the finger print reader working with logging in and super user privilege
vaiofand and vaiopower. Both these will make your UX use less power, and have fully flexible fan control depending on load, and depending on how quiet you want your UX to be.

see other linux install threads in this forum for howto setup the webcam driver, finger print sensor, as well calibrating the screen.

As for your wifi issue, try a process of elimination. If you think the sound patch caused the wifi to fail , try uninstalling the sound patch to see if it makes a difference. Also try removing the WEP WPK-PSK from your accesspoint and make it an unprotected Access point. See if yout UX will connect then. If it does, it is possible the WPK-PSK is corrupt. Last resort try removing and installing network manager again.

I am not sure what your last post means. We all have to install ubuntu from the USB, that should not be a problem. Or do you mean you are running ubuntu off a USB?

bigs
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard

sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate

light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

Clank

Postby Clank » Mon Dec 12, 2011 00:32

I was referring to the other guy where he said t install it for a USB CD/DVD drive. I do not have one of those. Now, I have installed Ubuntu 11.04 again and I'm currently trying to follow the "Long awaited Ubuntu install guide" but I am having issues. For one, All of the commands are for Kubuntu or KDE based systems. I cant use a lot of those commands. Second, The Xorg.conf file is no longer included in the new Xorg. I tried to create that file and put what was supposed to be in there, but nothing. It doesnt change a thing. I really want Ubuntu on this thing, but it is such a pain as no one has a specific guid on JUST UBUNTU. Again, If someone could help me out with this, I would be very greatfull.

bigs

Postby bigs » Mon Dec 12, 2011 04:16

to my knowledge the same commands for kubuntu and ubuntu are near identical. The onlt time I find kubuntu commmand differ is when loading the gui applets.

there is nothing wrong with installing ubuntu from USB flash drive as opposed to CD rOM external. Infact it will install alot quicker this way.

I have heard alot of people are enjoying Linux mint these days. Although I have not tried it on my UX, it would be my next choice if I could not get ubuntu going.

Clank

Postby Clank » Mon Dec 12, 2011 22:34

I know, I see that Linux mint is getting popular. I only switched to Ubuntu because linux runs well on my UX380N (Other then some other things...) but I dont like the way most of the Linux distros look. I really liked PCLinuxOS when It was around. I loved it. I was following "The long awaited Ubuntu install guide". When I would do some of the commands, A lot of them would not work. Files were missing and stuff was changed. One of the commands that didnt work was "killall KDM" This command did not work on Ubuntu 11.10. I know they changed a lot in this new distro, but I didnt thing that would be that much of a change. I managed to get a lot of stuff working, But I dont know how to compile packages in linux so I cant create some linux drivers. I thing all I need to do is to get my Wifi card fixed as it does not start with the PC sometimes or it has terrible signal (Especially around other PC's), I need the backlight support and then I need to get the touch pad right as it is overly sensitive. I would also like to know how to turn off the Bluetooth module. It (Along with the WWAN Module) Always stay on, but i was able to turn on and off the WWAN with a console command. Is there a similar command for the bluetooth? Thank you for the reply's.

bigs

Postby bigs » Tue Dec 13, 2011 01:37

Oh my goodness, just looked up the long awaited ubuntu install guide.. its for Gusty Gibbon, thats many many distros ago. things would have definitely changed by then.

I have some guides in the forum for installing Lucid Lynx, I think Ubuntu 11 should be still similar.

I prefer 10.04 vs 11 as it is a LTS (long term support) edition plus, it does not have the dum unity which slows down the whole enjoyment of linux.

To help you out, the network card works by default, ie no driver required! Both stock card and 4965 PCI-e wireless cars work effortlessly.

Low wifi signal is always an issue with the UX, since the aerials are alot closer to the mmainboard and other parts due to the compact nature of the UX. Windows XP and Windows 7 may report higher signal levels, but in reality the signal is still low, just microsoft reads low and medium! I personally found with the stock wifi card, it would frequently disconnect and reconnect without warning in XP even though it reported 75% signal strength. Solution is to upgrade this to an aftermarket Wifi card, signal still will be not as good as a standard laptop, but at least it will be better than stock.

Backlight support in ubuntu is already working from startup. One way to access is to right click the battery icon in top right tray, and goto preferences. Here you can select brightness when on battery power and brightness when on mains. Another way for flexible brightness settings, is to add the "power manager brightness applet" to the tray. There is a bug though, upon pressing the icon, one has to use the up and down arrows on the keyboard to adjust brightness. The on screen controls seems to be buggy on lucid.

the alps pointer, there are ways and means of compiling strange drivers and ways in the past, but for you know, one just has to get used to the over sensitive pointer. For me I just don't use it except for pan scrolling when zooming in and out. If you find a way to disable the left click action of the pointer, please let us all know this fix.

As for powering on and off Bluetooth independently, install vaioutils which you can find from google and then use the command

"sudo vaiopower bluetooth off"

Which you can also make into a "sh" script shortcut for easy switching on and off. For my bluetooth off script I also added turning off the bluetooth applet driver.

"#!/bin/sh

gksudo killall blueman-applet
gksu vaiopower bluetooth off"

As I do not have a wwan module I am not sure how to turn that off, but you could try right clicking the networking/wireless icon, and there you can individually turn off and on the wireless adapter.

Clank

Postby Clank » Sat Dec 17, 2011 15:10

OMG thank you dude. I always like the older Ubuntu because I knew it very well. I wonder if 10.04 will run even better on this UX and allow me to install some easy games such as Terraria or HL1. I'm going to try to downgrade just to see if I like it better, but I'm haveing another issue now. I Installed some updates on ubuntu and now ubuntu wont log it. Plus, it wont allow me to boot from my flash drives. It just skips them and I dont know why -.-. I also just saw that new Modded BIOS upgrade, but Im not sure how I could install it from linux (If you can at all or if that would even be stable). Thanks for the helpful reply :D

echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop/wwanpower

Change the "1" to "0" To turn off the WWAN and turn it to "1" to turn on.

Can you link to that install guide you made for lucid?

Return to “Linux OS”