Ubuntu 12.04 on UX

bigs

Ubuntu 12.04 on UX

Postby bigs » Wed Aug 01, 2012 13:39

Since I now have a spare Samsung SSD 64Gb SLC drive I decided to try out Ubuntu 12.04 32bit. Previous Ubuntu instructions will differ now as some of those instructions for 10.04 32bit will no longer work in 12.04. You may wonder why 32bit. Well, things like Adobe flash and other stuff like 32bit still. Another reason is memory. 64bit can run 32bit, but then it double on the libraries required and hence uses more RAM. The more RAM saved, the more productive the UX can be.

Now,what works, and what does not. Undoubtedly if you are diligent with your install research you will find there is no change. As per usual the front web cam works, and so does the finger print reader albeit a completely different way to install that is much easier than the past.

What is improved over 10.04. Well the whole feel and design of the OS has completely changed, and the whole idea of a single start bar with lots of sub folders is no longer there. Rather a side bar launcher similar to OSX horizontal launcher, which relys heavily on a fancy search bar to find all your applications quickly. There is no right clicking in the launcher or notification areas, and everything is achievable by left click, so for UX users who predominantly use their touch screen this is a feature that enhances the whole experience. Overall all bugs in 10.04 which could be user resolved, are now fixed and solid in 12.04. For instance, no longer do I need to use a custom hibernate feature or the need to use an aftermarket bluetooth stack,or the ability to suspend to RAM whist leaving the web camera driver on. This does not mean there are no bugs in Ubuntu 12.04, but at least these will be new bugs associated with newer things to come.

Rumours say 12.04 is more bloated and slower than 10.04. This I found is a myth for the UX, and although the memory is limited in the UX, the same 1Gb RAM is ample for multitasking in Ubuntu 12.04. The new Ubuntu seems to manage it's swapfile better, but using it less, and filling the RAM quicker, hence reducing swapfile writing, which is important for us SSD users.

How to install it. Well it can be quite tricky, and really I could give a very detailed instruction that would bore some, so I have listed some web sites for those interested in giving Ubuntu a bash once more.

Finger print reader: https://launchpad.net/~fingerprint/+archive/fingerprint-gui

Undervolting the UX cpu for battery saving and less heat: https://launchpad.net/~linux-phc/+archive/ppa/

touchscreen: just install the calibrator program in the repos

Sound fix: No longer needed for 12.04, it works by default

Webcam: http://code.google.com/p/r5u870/downloads/detail?name=r5u870-0.3.2.tar.gz&can=2&q=

Everything else is the same as it was in 10.04 for working hardware.

Enjoy

bigs
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard
OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!
sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate
light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

Kynth

Postby Kynth » Fri Aug 03, 2012 09:36

Thank you for the information.

I'm attempting to install Ubuntu on my UX1XN for the first time.

After hitting Esc at the bootload screen, I am receiving a series of messages:

Code: Select all

udevd[#]: timeout: killing /sbin/blkid -o udev -p /dev/sdb

I understand this may be Hard Disk related (/dev/sbd). The disk contains the original Sony partitions (NTFS).

Has anyone experienced this problem before?

bigs

Postby bigs » Fri Aug 03, 2012 15:28

sorry Kynth, not sure I can help you there, as I never had this problem. If you think it is caused by the hidden partition, why not completely format the drive?

Oh, I read the last part, you are booting ubuntu off a USB stick. You will not be able to benefit from the full performance of Ubuntu by loading the OS on a pen drive. Best if you want to try Ubuntu first is to install via Live CD, then if you like it, then install it properly on a internal hard drive. Be aware the live CD performance too is relatively slow, and does not show the full potential of ubuntu, but rather gives an insight on what ubuntu is all about, and also as a emergency OS on demand.
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard

OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!

sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate

light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

Gadgetguy

Postby Gadgetguy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 14:05

Hello all,
just installed Ubuntu 12.10 on my UX (windows 7 dual boot).

It seems to work fine - but it indicates that the battery is charging (and that it needs 45 minutes to fully charge).

The battery is full, and it seems that it is not charging (light is not blinking).

What is happening? Is it charging or not?

Does this mean that the battery charging control does not work (well) in Ubuntu?

Thanks for any ideas

Return to “Linux OS”