Partial tap fix for Alps DualPoint Stick on actual linux versions

biktor

Postby biktor » Sat Sep 22, 2012 13:28

The problem with the ALPS DualPoint Stick is that it's part of a Touchpad + Stick bundle, but on the vaio they only put the 'stick' part, the rest isn't wired (or so it seems by looking at the drivers). So the non-existant touchpad gets all the ALPS capabilities, but for linux, the Stick is only a dummy mouse

I call it partial because even when you disable hardware tapping by issuing four commands to the Alps controller, some tapping still gets done, if you double-tap fast enough.

Hardware tapping can be enabled or disabled from the kernel module (just set a variable to enable), but that would bring the erratic tapping back, and I didn't find a way to calibrate the sensibility of the stick, because that's not measured by the driver, but from the stick itself (I guess there are some commands that the driver sends in Windows to tell the stick what to report back). Quite bad implementation on hardware side if you ask me...

ceehoppy1st

Postby ceehoppy1st » Sat Sep 22, 2012 16:07

There are a number of wierd UX-only hardware setups- how about that camera? I recall that one model of Vaio uses a double sata ssd on one pcb with a lif conn. I think sometimes that Sony went out of their way to do stuff strangely. I
UX280 U7700- ssd of the day - hardware test toy
UX37GN stock- U1500-hdd

bigs

Postby bigs » Sun Sep 23, 2012 20:18

hehe that vaio prob has some sort of raid ssd setup. peculiar but it saves space,and allows for optimal performance for that model
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard
OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!
sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate
light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

darussell1

DualPoint Stick on UX-180P

Postby darussell1 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 17:40

I am a new user to Ubuntu. A retired AT&Ter I used UNIX v3 way back in the days before any GUI was around. I'm running Windows XP and 7 on several PCs, but was growing weary of the amount of time my UX was struggling to run anything, so I installed Xubunt 12.04.1. Pretty much I am impressed, but have been struggling with the AlpsPS/2 issue. I've been searching high and low for days for a fix, and it seems I found it in yours. Thanks for your shared wisdom. Now I can take the UX portable without having to drag a bluetooth mouse along for the ride!

bigs

Postby bigs » Mon Sep 24, 2012 23:43

Welcome to the forum darussell1!

I know what you mean about not having a usable touchstick, but don't forget there is also a touchscreen. Because of the sensitive alps touchstick issue, I had completed ignored the touch stick in favour of touchscreen. Have you calibrated your touchscreen to work to the full extents of the UX?

Now that ther eis finally a fix, I can at times omit using and us the touchstick while walking, very handy indeed.
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard

sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate

light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

harryfokker

Postby harryfokker » Tue Sep 25, 2012 19:08

Many many thanks, all this time i was using a Live version os Ubuntu to somo light work but a couple days ago y decide ir to instal it on a 10 gb Partition and im trying to deal with the installation and your FIX is really a miracle to start working, Good work pal
UMPC: Sony Vaio VGN-UX480FN
Hardware: Processor: Intel Core 2 Solo 1.060 Ghz(Overclockled to 1.160Ghz) / SSD: 48GB / Ram Memory: 1GB
Details: CF Slot / Bluetooth / Extended batery / GPS Receiver / Black Housing
OS: 1)Windows 8 Pro / 2)Android X86 4.0.2 Ice Cream Sandwich
Software Mods: SetFsb(CPU Overclock) / GMABooster(GPU Overclock 400MHZ) / Bios Mod(Fixed Video Ram 251MB)

"Anything is acceptable if it leads to a successful result . . ."

bigs

Postby bigs » Tue Sep 25, 2012 20:27

woohoo harryfokker, welcome to the Linux realm!

darussell1

Postby darussell1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 04:03

Yes, I got the touchscreen calibrated and no more variance; it goes right to the edge of the screen with exactness. I wish I would have moved to Ubuntu years ago. I used the UX-180P on the train ride to work, and XP always had me waiting while the disk activity light flickered; it drove me nuts! Thus far, operation under Ubuntu is crisp, clean and immediate. I pray it stays that way.

I've spent the past two days trying to get either of the two cameras to work, but no luck. Not that I would use them, but it would be nice. Actually I'd prefer the back to the front, but I've only heard of success firing up the front camera.

PS: I've spread the word (as best I could) of the stickpoint fix and this forum. Thanks again to everyone and anyone that contributed. I am a happier UX-camper than I've ever been.

bigs

Postby bigs » Wed Sep 26, 2012 09:33

darussell1, I hve been trying to tell ppl in this forum for years that Ubuntu is the OS for the UX, and suits 1Gb just fine.

Of the years I had Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04, it never ever failed, crashed or lagged. It has never need reinstalling as it never corrupts and goes slow. Now on Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu yet again is more refined and better than ever.

Front camera is doable using the ricoh drivers. http://code.google.com/p/r5u870/downloads/list

Personally, even thought the rear camera is of higher quality than the front camera. The front camera for me is more useful as a webcam facing front.

harryfokker

Postby harryfokker » Wed Sep 26, 2012 20:32

bigs wrote:woohoo harryfokker, welcome to the Linux realm!

Many thanks my friend, right now i got 2 SSD , one for Ubuntu 12 and another with Windows 8 Pro RTM an i have for now this impressions.

Even Ubuntu gives stabilty(solid as a rock) and a fast load on web pages im still not sure about the "superior" speed over W8 , i fixed the video Acceleration(1st installing MESA and 2nd using Driver Updates in repos provided by Bigs in this forum) , The Stickpointer with the fix of this Thread, The Touchscren with the calibration program and no more for now; The WIFI y too buggy im still with the stock Intel3945abg card and the signal is poor an disconnects constantly, im still not trying the front camera or the Biometrics cause for my workiaround on Linux those are not esential; im use to the GMABOOSTER Linux version and Chromium as a firefox alternative

I have to say that the UX is really quiet running this OS BUT Im don´t know if i need more and better fixeS for it because by my tests UBUNTu 12 is not faster than Windows 8 Pro RTM i uses 720p videos on Youtube and MP4 to test it, and with Ubuntu its still laggy but with W8 runs flawless even the 1080p videos looks a little better than with W7 or XP with glitches for My Core2Solo of course, im pretty sure when i get my C2D U7700 it will work pretty too . You can recommend me something to improve Ubuntu 12?? And im really saying, you got to test the RTM of Windows 8 is really powerfull and faster than Win7, when the comercialization begins on October im going to start a threat request on this forum to ask a Final no buggy version of the 5.0.2 Tablet Driver to the UPDD guys , believeme i worth every penny this time.

Please talk me about you Ubuntu 12 experience and how can improve it
UMPC: Sony Vaio VGN-UX480FN

Hardware: Processor: Intel Core 2 Solo 1.060 Ghz(Overclockled to 1.160Ghz) / SSD: 48GB / Ram Memory: 1GB

Details: CF Slot / Bluetooth / Extended batery / GPS Receiver / Black Housing

OS: 1)Windows 8 Pro / 2)Android X86 4.0.2 Ice Cream Sandwich

Software Mods: SetFsb(CPU Overclock) / GMABooster(GPU Overclock 400MHZ) / Bios Mod(Fixed Video Ram 251MB)

"Anything is acceptable if it leads to a successful result . . ."

Return to “Linux OS”