how to get ubuntu to work even better than ever before

bigs

how to get ubuntu to work even better than ever before

Postby bigs » Sun May 12, 2013 13:24

if you are using ubuntu 12.04, install "zram" what it does is dynamically allocate RAM to swap, which is can compress! So now the 1gb ram on the UX feels more like 1.5gb ram approx. Obviously it does not come without a price, as compression reuqires CPU, but if you already have a core2duo Ux, then this will not be an issue. Also using compressed RAM is still substantially better than using swap on SSD or hard drive.

Already previously my UX with 1gb ram and ubuntu was substantially more efficient than windows 7, but now, it is really flying. It has given even more life to my UX, as who can say no to essentially more RAM for free.

I can now load and edit my 40mp images on the ux with more confidence!

== update ==

I have used it for work for a day, thereabouts, and the difference is substantial. The UX, can now multi task alot more applications, like Photoshop, surfing, Skype, MSN, etc all at once, with no hesitation. Suspect most Ubuntu users may already be using this for their low powered old PCs. But this totally rocks on the Ubuntu UX!
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard
OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!
sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate
light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

tangobravo

Postby tangobravo » Wed May 15, 2013 04:51

Wow... that's interesting! Going to have to try that... Any idea how much (if any noteworthy) improvement with the stock Core Solo?

bigs

Postby bigs » Wed May 15, 2013 09:14

I think the improvements on a core solo will be evident too. As long as you are not doing CPU intensive tasks, ability to load considerably more tabs and multi tasks. Obviously I have the core2 UX, hence there is been no noticeable performance slow down CPU wise, but the improvements with the extra available RAM like swap difference is very much noticeable.

tangobravo, which version of Ubuntu are you using?
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard

OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!

sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate

light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

tangobravo

Postby tangobravo » Fri May 17, 2013 04:25

Well, presently on Karmic -- at the time, seemed like the most stable functional one to go with when I installed it and finally tweaked it to the level that I liked. Originally, I had been tweaking with Gentoo, thinking to build a nice super-efficient and stable build image of Gentoo, but just kept not having enough time to continually compile / re-compile, even though it was promising; I just wanted to play with the thing, and at the time, Ubuntu was the easiest (much thanks to you and some others posts here, of course!).

Return to “Linux OS”