[color="Red"][SIZE="4"]..:: FAQ ::..
- [SIZE="3"]How to Mute the UX's Startup Sound[/SIZE]
To have a quiet start, we can use a freeware tool made by Arcana Research: StartupSound.
StartupSound.prefPane is the software which controls the volume of the startup sound of your Macintosh computer. StartupSound.prefPane mute the startup sound without changing the output volume setting. And StartupSound.prefPane limits the startup volume so that it may not become loud even if you make the output volume louder. To set up the startup volume, you select the "Startup Sound" pane added to the "System Preferences.
You will find the tool as well as some tips about the installation on the Official Website
- [SIZE="3"]How to Play Windows Media Files[/SIZE]
QuickTime is the standard de-facto for OSX users but there are many reasons to support also the MS'Windows Media standards. For playing these contents, we will install an new component for QuickTime, Flip4Mac™, which can handle Windows Media files (.wma and .wmv) directly in QuickTime Player and view Windows Media content on the Internet using a Web browser.
[INDENT]Supported Audio Codecs...
- Windows Media Audio 9
- Windows Media Audio 9 Professional
- Windows Media Audio 9 Lossless
- ISO MPEG Layer 3 (MP3)
- Microsoft G.726
- Microsoft IMA ADPCM
- Microsoft G.711 aLaw
- Microsoft G.711 uLaw
- Microsoft ADPCM
Supported Video Codecs...
- Windows Media Video 9
- Windows Media Video 8
- Windows Media Video 7
- ISO MPEG-4, versions 1.0 and 1.1
- Microsoft MPEG-4, versions 2 and 3
- Microsoft Motion JPEG
You can download it directly from Microsoft Download Center zone (step-to-step guide for installing it on the same page).
- [SIZE="3"]How to Play RealNetworks' Media Files[/SIZE]
RealPlayer allows you to view RealNetwork's streaming media over the Internet on Mac OS X.
This 10.1 build 490 version of RealPlayer is recommended for all users. It contains all prior security updates and is a Universal Binary. This version also fixes some autoupdating problems with RealAudio 3.0 on Intel Macs, and fixes some problems with autoupdating for certain 3gpp content.
- NEW TurboPlay: Practically eliminates buffering over high- speed connections so your clips start faster and play smoother.
- RealVideo 9: Dramatically improved compression delivers unparalleled quality at every bandwidth - from narrowband to HDTV. Includes 5-channel RealAudio Surround.
You can download it from one of these mirrors.
- [SIZE="3"]How to Play DivX and Other A/V Formats[/SIZE]
QuickTime by default supports only its native format it means you need to install, as for Windows, some codecs to play widely popular formats. The Windows universe counts a lot of codec pack (collection of codecs to play A/V contents): Mac users not but what is needed, as the Mac-philosophy (less for more) is available. If you don't like VLC that comes within all the necessary to play without additional component, you can use Perian.
It is a free, open source QuickTime® component that adds native support for many popular video and containers formats such as:
= Containers =
- ||AVI||√|| ||
- ||FLV||√||PCM/ADPCM and Flash Screen Video v2 not supported||
= Codecs =
[INDENT]||Codec||Playable||Can Decode (decompress into raw)||Needs Another Component||Notes||
- ||MS-MPEG4 v1 ||√||√||-|| ||
- ||MS-MPEG4 v2 ||√||√||-|| ||
- ||MS-MPEG4 v3 ||√||√||-|| ||
- ||DivX 3.11 alpha ||√||√||-|| ||
- ||DivX ||√||√||-|| ||
- ||XviD ||√||√||-|| ||
- ||3ivX ||√||√||-|| ||
- ||MPEG4 video ||√||√||-||AVIs created by some digital cameras||
- ||H.264 ||√||√||-||In the AVI container||
- ||Sorenson H.263 ||√||√||-||H.263 variant in FLV||
- ||Flash Screen Video ||√||√||-||Only version 1 supported||
- ||Truemotion VP6 ||√||√||-||FourCC VP61 not supported||
- ||WMV ||√||x|| Flip4Mac highly suggested ]||In the AVI container||
- ||VBR MP3 ||√||x||-||In the AVI container||
- ||AAC ||√||x||-||In the AVI container||
- ||AC3 Audio ||√||x|| a52Codec highly suggested]||In the AVI container||
= Legend =
[INDENT]||Works Well||Works||Done by Another Component||Needs work||Not Needed||
Useful Links for...
- Download: HERE
- Updated Compatible Formats: HERE
- Latest UnOfficial Build: HERE
- Support: HERE