Fixing spastic glidestick on ux*

dgarcia42

Fixing spastic glidestick on ux*

Postby dgarcia42 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 19:23

Hello all!

Know how your little glidestick likes to spastically click/drag on everything that it can, infuriatingly ignoring the un-selecting of "Clicking" on the trackpad preference pane?

Infuriate no more! I've built up a new version of the ApplePS2Controller.kext file that, when you disable tap, also sends the proper command sequence to disable tap on the glidestick as well. You can download it from here.

On my machine, that'll put the zip file into my downloads folder - open up a terminal window and do:

Code: Select all

cd ~/Downloads
unzip ApplePS2ControllerAndALPS.kext.zip
sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext ~/OldPS2Controller.kext
sudo cp -R ApplePS2Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*.kext
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/
diskutil repairpermissions/

then reboot. You can now disable clicking in the trackpad preferences pane. This appears to mostly affect the click/hold/drag functionality. Even with click disabled, i can still tap on the stick to have it register a single click.

If i want to drag, with clicking disabled, I have to use the mouse buttons on the other side.

For even more fun, if you install Smart Scroll X you can enable Grab Scoll, with mouse button 3. I use that to scroll around webpages on my ux280p. It's rather nice, left thumb presses "mouse button 3" while the touchstick scrolls me around.

Next up? Seeing if i can figure out how to calibrate the touchscreen :)

Enjoy!

--Dg

ps. I'll get the code cleaned up and posted up at some point, as well as slap together a real webpage for it beyond just this forum post.

Benz145

Postby Benz145 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 19:33

Thanks and nice work. If you do end up getting the touch screen calibrated, try out the Grab and Drag add-on for Firefox (if you use it), its a great add-on which makes touch screen webpage navigation very practical, I use it all the time.

guitarhero1441

Postby guitarhero1441 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 03:38

If you could post a fix like this for linux, you would be my hero.

dgarcia42

Postby dgarcia42 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 05:28

Weird - because it was from the linux driver that i figured out how to do this. I wonder what's up with linux that it's not working right.

sakuya

Postby sakuya » Fri Nov 09, 2007 08:32

Good work, dgarcia42! Thanks.

zikman

Postby zikman » Fri Nov 09, 2007 09:48

dgarcia42

Postby dgarcia42 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 09:56

Thanks for the links!

I actually think it will be easier for me - since the touch screen is already working! It's being recognized as an HID device - and there's a tablet HID driver. I'm thinking about taking that and working in some level of calibration support for it. First thing I want to do on that front, though, is actually have a modified driver that dumps out debugging information for me to track.

All of that, however, will have to wait until I finish porting the camera driver over from linux (I can power the camera on and off - but getting the isochronous stream working is being a bitch - I think I need to spend some more time digging into the internals of the macam driver. If I don't get much further this weekend, I may hit up the macam developers for help/suggestions).

zikman

Postby zikman » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:11

ok...keep going...:)
Thx for helping us...:)

MeanSquare

Postby MeanSquare » Fri Nov 09, 2007 13:27

Wow. If we can get the camera and fingerprint reader working in OSX, I'd be completely happy.
MeanSquare
--------------
[color="YellowGreen"]UX390N[/color] [color="Cyan"](Core Solo U1500 (1.33GHz), 1GB RAM, 32GB Solid State Drive)[/color] [color="Yellow"]clean installed with Windows 8 Beta [/color]
[color="YellowGreen"]UX90S[/color] [color="Cyan"](Core Solo U1400 (1.2GHz), 512MB RAM, 30GB Hard Drive)[/color] [color="Yellow"] clean installed with Windows 8 Beta [/color]

LibrettoFF

Postby LibrettoFF » Fri Nov 09, 2007 20:11

@ DG

Thank You very much! This is the fix of the year for me ;)

If You have some spare time maybe You can take a look at the weird AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext which drives UX50-Users like me nuts. Even the old version - somewhere posted here - sometimes switches after boot to 1024x768 and produces that funny pattern (grey / white) on the screen. After four hard resets or so it boots the login window into the right resolution. On Leopard it goes everytime to wrong resolution - even with the old gma950 package :(

Best regards,
Thomas

Return to “Mac OS”