Any progress on OS X on UX-series?

orbitalcomp

Any progress on OS X on UX-series?

Postby orbitalcomp » Fri Dec 08, 2006 23:06

I remember seeing a few posts about OS X Tiger running on a UX a few months back, but hadn't seen anything else...are there any updates? I didn't have a UX at the time, but now I do, and I am thinking about picking up one of the USB DVD drives I have seen a few of you mention here in the forum, so it would be easy for me to tinker. My new 280p would be *perfect* if I could dual-boot both Tiger and XP (or Vista)...

I searched over on the OSx86project.org (aka InsanelyMac.com) forums, but didn't see anything...maybe someone else has had success?

macstibs

Sorta works...

Postby macstibs » Wed Dec 20, 2006 01:50

I took the plunge the other day by installing one of the osx86project isos. Installer did its thing without incident although I wiped the entire drive so I don't know much about dual-booting.

Its works well but there are enough problems that I'm not 100% thrilled. The fingerprint sensor, the cameras, the wifi, and the audio are all non-functioning. If wifi and audio worked, I could overlook the fingerprint sensor and the cameras.

That being said it's still pretty amazing to see OSX running on the UX. It's my ideal system. Sadly the driver support just isn't there yet, and from the research I've done over the last 48 hours, it may never be. The Intel 3945ABG wifi card and the Realtek ALC262 audio chip are completely unsupported at the moment. The wifi problem can be solved with a usb-based wifi stick as can the audio, but when you're mobile the usb audio solution is hardly ideal.

There you have it. It's pretty easy. It all started when I tried to erase the 6gb restore partition for some more space and wound up wiping the entire drive. Mistakes can inspire confidence sometimes...

stevenf

Postby stevenf » Wed Dec 20, 2006 04:06

Which ISO did you use? The last one I tried caused the screen to wig out as soon as you got past the Darwin boot: prompt.

macstibs

Postby macstibs » Wed Dec 20, 2006 04:55

JaS 10.4.6 DVD install for Intel SSE3 then applied the delta patches to go to .7 and then .8

Look for torrents

GraceTech

Postby GraceTech » Wed Dec 20, 2006 05:48

Not to keep you from osx nirvana but you could just install FlyakiteOSX and imagine it's osx.:D

crt

minis2003

Postby minis2003 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 13:53

if i could install OS 10.5 i would. it will be much better then Vista . just wish Apple would release it for other brands so everyone can use it or they should ask sony to make a UX for them:D

macstibs

Postby macstibs » Wed Dec 20, 2006 22:34

Installing an OSX "Skin" on top of WinXP is utter blaspheme...

;)

macstibs

Wireless Internet & Audio

Postby macstibs » Thu Dec 21, 2006 02:17

Update ...

While the wifi card isn't supported, the Bluetooth part is so I hacked together a pppd service that shares the internet over BT to the ux180p.

Used this tip from Macosxhints.com:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20051220221237711

Audio -
One person apparently reported getting the audio chipset to work but they didn't post any details. We need a couple of DeviceId numbers from inside Windows. Since I already blew away my windows partition if someone could post the numbers, it would be a huge help.

We need the Device and Vendor IDs for the Audio Device and the HD Audio Bus Driver.

The Audio device is DeviceId 0262 and VendorId 10ec
What I need is the HD Audio Bus Driver IDs - should be in the Device Manager somewhere.
It may be listed as Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Def Audio under "System Devices".
If someone could check these numbers (all four of them to be safe) and post them either hereor preferably at the OSX86project forum, it would be a big help.

Thx.
Attachments
ScreenshotOSXUX.jpg

macstibs

Postby macstibs » Thu Dec 21, 2006 07:33

Update ...

I've gotten the audio partially enabled. The out on the docking cradle is working for audio but the headphone jack isn't. Amazing considering I know squat...

the saga continues...

PS I've also just learned that Rotation functionality is built into the OSX Display preference pane. Unfortunately it was put in a newer driver than the one I'm running, but considering I'm climbing these hills as fast as I can find them... I'm ever-hopeful.

orbitalcomp

Postby orbitalcomp » Thu Dec 21, 2006 14:14

This is getting good! Hopefully you can get the audio sorted out...have you tried looking thru the forums at http://www.onmac.net? I remember there was an issue getting audio working on the dual-booting Macs before Apple came out with BootCamp and provided the correct drivers. Before that, people had found drivers that worked, but there was something that was enabled that caused the driver to output as digital audio instead of regular analog, since the audio ports on many newer computers do both. Not sure on the UX...

You may search thru that forum, it may reveal something that will help...

If you can figure out WiFi, my UX will reformatted immediately for Tiger...I don't care about the bioscanner, the cameras, or the rotation...but I do need audio, native video drivers, and WiFi/BT

Is there a thread regarding your progress on the InsanelyMac forums?

Return to “Mac OS”