Sony Vaio UX50 60 GB HDD Upgrade

Talk about the hardware components of the micro PC.
ecsw

Postby ecsw » Sat Nov 10, 2007 00:53

After trying out a cheap ipod 80GB MK8010GAH with no luck, I decided to get MK1011GAH OEM drive.

Upgraded my UX280P few days ago without any problem. I have to clone my new drive using my Sony HardDrive camcoder as an external enclosure for the new drive as I haven't got my new 1.8" enclosure.

I found it a bit faster in starting up probably because the cloning also re-arrange the data. ;)

NikonUser

Postby NikonUser » Tue Nov 13, 2007 01:06

Can anyone confirm that this drive is of the type that will fit in my UX?

eBay Link

Also, is that a decent price for this drive?

EDIT: Sorry for all the questions... but can anyone confirm that installing the Toshiba 100GB drive doesn't have a detrimental effect on heat or battery life? I'm a little confused after reading all the info in this thread.

Thanks
Paul

humanfly

100 GB works GRRRRRRREEAAATT!!!!

Postby humanfly » Mon Dec 03, 2007 18:30

Davey wrote:anyone try the 100Gb drive?

Yup...

I replaced mine with a Toshiba 100gb hard drive bought from ebay,
for only $159.00

Toshiba 100GB Hard Drive: MK1011GAH

Then ghost'd it using an adapter from this comp: http://www.ameri-rack.com/APA-HD18Zm.htm

It cost only $29.00 from these guys !!!

DON'T TRY TO BUY similar adapters like this from ebay, I did, and the crappy knock-off thing did'nt even work, and I had to return to china for a refund!

I just plugged in the AMERI-RACK adapter and the hard drive spun up right away, did my copy and all is well with the world:)

Now I can ghost my new 100gb hard drive anytime I want, or I can back it up to my desktop with no worries.

This adapter is idiot proof too, it only has one way to connect that elusive PIN1 as the hard drive nor the cheaper adapters show you where PIN 1 actually is:)

It also connects directly to the IDE cable on your desktop PC which is keyed so NO mistakes here either. Which is a good idea since you don't want to blow up your brand new upgrade hard drive before you even get it working.

Here are their contact details:

Paul Lan
Ameri-Rack Technology,Inc.
20950 Currier Road,
Walnut, CA 91789
Tel: (626)203-6979 Fax: (909)468-9108
http://www.ameri-rack.com

Hope this helps:)

Carry on Upgradin:D

ps:

Temp a normal 65c
Batt usage NOCHANGE still 2hrs 32mins after FULL charge

ruffnexx

Postby ruffnexx » Mon Dec 03, 2007 23:29

ok, managed to locate a samsung 120gb drive and im going to give it another upgrade, ill see how it affects heat and performance...............fingers crossed now

NikonUser

Postby NikonUser » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:03

humanfly wrote:ps:

Temp a normal 65c
Batt usage NOCHANGE still 2hrs 32mins after FULL charge

65C sounds very hot to me... The operating temp for the drives is listed at 60C on the Toshiba website.

It's info like that which is making me to scared to upgrade my HDD :rolleyes:

Paul

marwhit724

upgrading questiion

Postby marwhit724 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 20:28

aussiehoudini wrote:http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkontherun/2006/07/guest_article_h.html#more

Sony Vaio UX50 60 GB HDD Upgrade

my questions on this is..
whats the largest hardrive you can upgrade to.?. since the memory is limited to 1gig in the 380n and other models.
also what type of hardrive and you use?. brand and style sata/pata. Im assuming cause its a newer model unit that it takes sata laptop hardrives..
thanx guys for any response.. :confused: :confused:

NikonUser

Postby NikonUser » Thu Dec 13, 2007 04:19

marwhit724 wrote:my questions on this is..
whats the largest hardrive you can upgrade to.?. since the memory is limited to 1gig in the 380n and other models.
also what type of hardrive and you use?. brand and style sata/pata. Im assuming cause its a newer model unit that it takes sata laptop hardrives..
thanx guys for any response.. :confused: :confused:

I'm not sure I understand your question very well.

The RAM that you meation in the 380N will have nothing at all to do with the hard drive.

The UX will accept 1.8" hard drives with a ZIF connector. The stock drive is 5mm thick but other members have had sucess with the thicker 8mm drives. They may cause problems with heat inside the unit though (I am still debating weather or not to try it).

As far as I know the drives come in 40, 60, 80, 100 or 120 GB sizes (the biggerst I have heard anyone putting in a UX is 100GB). Toshiba is the brand that comes stock in the UX and they are the only company I know of who sell the larger sized drives.

I hope that helps a little

Paul

NikonUser

Postby NikonUser » Thu Dec 13, 2007 05:14

I just opened up my UX this afternoon to try out the HDD upgrade. I can always change back if the temps get too high...

I got the back off with no problems...

[color="Red"]HOWEVER.... I can't for the life of me undo the screws that hold down the HDD mount. They are extremely tight. I don't want to put too much downward pressure on the unit incase I crack something! :( Mission failed.[/color]

Anyone else find this? Any suggestions?

For now my UX is staying at 40GB

Paul

EDIT: Solution: Get a better screwdriver! I have now changed to the 100GB HDD and am currently installing windows. Very scarey thing to do but it all went pretty smoothly. Getting the new hard drive to sit properly was the hardest bit due to the rubber mounts.

Now I just have to watch the temps to see if this drive will stay in here. I hope so coz I really don't want to do that again. I'm shaking :)

maddoc

Postby maddoc » Sat Dec 15, 2007 09:28

Hi

Could you please post the temperatures after you installed the 100gb drive.

Please put under pressure the ux and specify the environment temp.

thanks

NikonUser

Postby NikonUser » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:18

Sure....

I have stress-tested the CPU by putting 100% load with the AC power adaptor connected and placed in the dock (battery charging creates more heat + dock creates less airflow).... After 20 mins the CPU was at 59 degrees C..... which to me is just fine.

I'm not sure how to best stress the HDD but at idle it sits at around 42 degrees and the highest I've seen it get after lots of seeking is 55C

If anyone could suggest the best way to test the HDD I'd be happy to do it.

Paul

Return to “Hardware”