LCD screen problem¡¡¡

Talk about the hardware components of the micro PC.
charlie2001

Postby charlie2001 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 14:35

Today I recived the screen, I changed it and finally it works perfectly.

Many thanks to all.

ceehoppy1st

Postby ceehoppy1st » Tue Jun 15, 2010 19:13

Any thought in selling the old screen? If the lcd was dead but the touch panel is OK then I'm sure some folks are interested in buying. Try PM byronic44. Otherwise I'll buy it. (got paypal account?)
UX280 U7700- ssd of the day - hardware test toy
UX37GN stock- U1500-hdd

Beaululu

Postby Beaululu » Thu Jun 17, 2010 14:55

I also have the same problem as everyone (see the picture) a few days ago, it worked after a few minutes but now, even after 1 day, it doesn't work anymore :(

Charlie, did you also buy the screen on the Akrobat's link ? (I have the UX1XN model also)

Have you got a tutorial to explain how to replace the screen ??

Thank you
Attachments
104_1583.jpg

scheuch

Postby scheuch » Thu Jun 17, 2010 15:53

Hello, no Tutorial, but a link. In the searching field VGN-UX give. The models are almost the same, it is also all the same of which service manual you take.
http://www.givemefile.net/ ;)

charlie2001

Postby charlie2001 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 16:23

Hi, I bought the screen in blisscomputer (http://www.blisscomputers.net/sony-vaio-vgn-ux390n-laptop-lcd-screen-4-5-wsvga.aspx) and I used this manual (http://www.sull.ehost.us/MicroPC/index.php?dir=sony-ux-manuals/) for change it.

Regards and apologizes for my bad english.

Seina

Postby Seina » Thu Jul 01, 2010 06:47

Hello, my monitor began showing nothing but half-white, half-purple stripes, last week. I can hear my UX-280P's startup sound, and, if I can blindly make my way through the passwords to the desktop, I am able to get it to display on my TV through the dock. I hope this means that it's the monitor and not the video. I can't see anything to get into the BIOS, but I have succeeded in resetting it because it didn't used to do the startup sound and now it does.

I have passwords to get past the BIOS screen and, at least before, it read my fingerprints. I can't see anything so I can't tell if it's my password or my fingerprint getting me in.

Right now I have the UX taken apart with, I think, only internal cosmetic breakage since it still works. I was able to pry off the bezel and unplug the monitor. I've taken out most of the screws on both sides. I cannot see a way to take it apart more.

Before I order a new monitor, I'd like to check if I can hook the monitor back up to see if I can do it and to see if it was a loose connection, but I can't figure out how to get the connector back in to the monitor. The part that the monitor sits on that slides on the rails is stuck onto the rails because of these two round pieces that go up and down the rails.

There's some screws on the back behind the sliding monitor part. I took them off. A piece back there like the bezel on the front starts to come off, but it looks like I'll break it if I force it. Am I supposed to take this off to get this part off the rails? It looks as if this piece is screwed on for no reason.

I can't plug the monitor back in. I tried but I can't get it to line up. It would be nice if I could get in from the other side to plug this cable into the back of the monitor. The other side of the cable that goes to the monitor looks like it doesn't come out. Same with the cable on the motherboard on the other side. It doesn't look like I can pull them out.

Can anyone help? Anyone wanting to install a new monitor on a UX-280P and how much would you charge (just to get the Vaio screen to display)? I'm thinking about buying a new one because I'm a student and use it for studying, but it seems like I could probably save $200 buying a new monitor instead of an eBay UX.

Thanks.

cimino

Postby cimino » Thu Jul 01, 2010 15:15

The LCD cable definitely can be detached at the motherboard end.

It sounds like you might have just disassembled the screen portion without disassembling the main body of the UX first. You might want to have a look at the guide here.

Nothing should be forced. Everything comes out easily as long as the right screws are removed. Did you know there are screws underneath the rubbery bits around the back of the screen module?

ceehoppy1st

Postby ceehoppy1st » Thu Jul 01, 2010 15:33

Sounds like a bad LCD screen, but could be a cable.You need to download the UX diassembly guide here: http://www.sull.ehost.us/MicroPC/index.php?dir=sony-ux-manuals%2F
I hope you realize that working on the LCD screen / monitor on a UX requires almost complete disassembly of the whole computer? The LCD unit with the cable & sliding "hinge" is secured from the INSIDE & can be removed (&worked on) only after opening the case & taking out the main board. If you're not comfortable doing the type of repair, then by all means have someone else do it.
While you could have sony repair it, that would be $$$$! You could get a price from a computer repair shop in your area as well. Of the forum members, ahn is the "pro", "mod-god" & "lord-high-guru". You should PM ahn to see what he'd want to do that repair (+ shipping)

UX37GN stock- U1500-hdd

Seina

Postby Seina » Fri Jul 02, 2010 05:32

Thanks, but I already had the PDF. I realized today I hadn't unscrewed the two screws on the side underneath the rubber covers. Now I'll see if I can guide that FPC into the LCD monitor.

It was really hard, but somehow without peeling the FPC from where it's stuck, after a lot of tries I was able to line up the FPC with the monitor and reconnect it. It still shows white on the left, stripes on the right.

So, now I know that with a little bit of luck I can replace the monitor and it probably wasn't a bad connection.

Now I have to think about whether I should repair it or buy a new UX and repair this one later.

It still would be nice to know if anyone knows an easier way to connect the FPC to the monitor. The PDF has a picture that shows a connector for the FPC on the motherboard and words below saying it's connected to it. I saw the FPC going down into the motherboard somewhere, then it goes through the keyboard assembly, and the other end plugs into the monitor. To plug the FPC into the monitor, I have to line it up perfectly before laying the monitor down on it. The FPC looks like it's glued onto both the motherboard and the sliding part the LCD goes on. Do it peel it off the motherboard or is the way I did it how everybody's doing it?

Any way to tell, visually I guess, if it was a bad cable instead of a bad monitor? I heard the stripes means a bad monitor.

ceehoppy1st

Postby ceehoppy1st » Fri Jul 02, 2010 06:35

Yes, the FPC is tricky to deal with, especially at the monitor/lcd end. If you look at the motherboard end of the fpc, it terminates in a white connector block. That plugs into a white connector on the motherboard. It's not obvious, but there is a parting line between the two connector halves. Pull the fpc away from the mobo slightly & use a thin/sharp tool (I use a 6" stainless ruler) to seperate the connector.
Normal UX disassembly procedure is to tilt the top of the mobo/ main frame assembly away from the keyboard/front case enough to unplug the lcd fpc as described above. Then you remove the monitor & hinge from the keyboard case.
While it seems that screen failures are more common than fpc cable failures, you may have to try one part or the other & see if it fixes it. From time to time on ebay you can find (good) used lcd monitors that come with the cable.
On reassembly, fit the lcd to the keyboard case. Slide the lcd up about half way(the connector should line up with the mobo this way). Fit to bottom of mobo frame in place & plug in lcd cable.
good luck

UX37GN stock- U1500-hdd

Return to “Hardware”