UX380n power issue

Talk about the hardware components of the micro PC.

UX380n power issue

Postby ruler » Fri Sep 13, 2013 08:16

Hello everyone, long time member and UX380n owner and recently my UX stopped powering on. Checked the AC adapter and it's working, the light on the AC adapter is on. So I took it apart today, inspected it and cleaned it up, everything looks fine no signs of damage or corroded resistors, etc, I also removed and cleaned the fan and heatsink, applied a fresh coat of arctic silver thermal compound, connected everything and attempted to power on but same issue.

So I plugged in the AC adapter directly in to the bottom AC adapter port on the UX (yellow connection) pressed in and held it in firmly while pressing the power button, luckily it fired up!! But as soon as I moved my hand and let go of the AC adapter (although still connected) it shuts off..

By now I figure i have pretty much isolated the issue to the internal connection on the UX (yellow connection) which is also the cable that is connected to the port where the dock/dongle/pci/wireless card is connected.

So I dock my UX and it powers on perfectly, and stays on!!!

My question is I guess I have a few options, either send in my UX to Sony for repairs which will cost $130 just to diagnose and depending on what they need to replace I will also have to pay for parts and service = potentially cost a few hundred dollars.

Find the replacement cable/ part where the AC adapter plugs in on the UX

Or my last and preffered option would be to just purchase a brand new exdented battery (VGP-BPL6) since it costs about the same as having Sony diagnose the issue (which I beleive I have already diagnosed as a bad conncetion/short) where the AC adapter connects.

So I just want some opinions or recommendations on what you guys think I should do?

And another factor To consider is my original factory battery has been dead since about the same year I got the UX which was around 2006, so replacing te battery with the extended baytery and just using the dock to charge it seems like the most economical and sensible thing to do.. What do you all think?

Postby anh » Fri Sep 13, 2013 18:18

Buy thisone to replace yours.
Anh Nguyen
Join BidNip To Save and Win More Auctions

Tablet S1 16GB

Postby ruler » Wed Sep 16, 2015 20:29

I wasn't able to order it, and can't seem to find another one. Would I be able to repair it ? or possibly find another one ?

Postby tomn » Thu Sep 17, 2015 04:21

Agree with your original conclusion - go get an extended battery (which could power the UX for up to 5 hours) and just charge it with the dock. Problem solved.
[color="Blue"]CURRENT TOY SYSTEMS:[/color]

Vaio PCG-U1 - Transmeta 867MHz 6.4"
Vaio VGN-U50 - 5"32G SSD
Vaio UX380N - 4.5" 128G SSD
Vaio P15G - 8" 128G SSD

Viliv S5 SSD 3G - 4.8" 0.9lb
Viliv N5 SSD 3G - 4.8" 0.9lb

Fujitsu U820 - 5.6" 128G SSD
Samsung Q1 Ultra - 7" 2G RAM 64G SLC SSD
Dell Inspiron Duo - 300G SSD

[color="Red"]NEW TOYS:[/color]

Dell Venue 8 Pro - 64G eMMC
Samsung Ativ Smart PC 500T- 64G eMMC
Sony Vaio Tap 11 - 2.9GHz Core i7 1TB SSD
Samsung Note Pro 12.2
Dell Venue 11 Pro - Core M 256G SSD

Postby bigs » Mon Sep 21, 2015 07:21

wow ruler, you reply to a thread you started 2 year ago. Either you do things really slowly, or you live in a different time alignment ;)

I have had that same issue you had a while back, and I found the only way was to either reseat the cables, to the part Anh mentioned. ie clean contacts with cleaning alcohol which is a temporary solution. The ideal solution is to order a new part. The official part number is

Maybe you could order the part from this website

Good luck

hope this helps
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard
OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!
sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate
light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

Return to “Hardware”