Windows 7 driver&application pack [Updated: 8/19/09]

Talk about software for the micro PC.
User avatar
qreese
Senior Member
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 20:10
Location: Roselle, NJ
Contact:

Postby qreese » Sat Jul 03, 2010 20:47

Hello,

Thanks for the info. So, I may have to call-up Sony to unlock the modem. I do not want to pay too much for a decent data plan.

You know how much people pay for AT&T/Cingular's plan versus how much a person pay for T-Mobile's data package?

I asked this in the wireless portion of this site, but no one got back to me on that one. Maybe, they were busy (I understand).

Thanks mate,
Q
Sony Vaio UX-380n sold to a business via Ebay! :cool:

cimino
Senior Member
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 09:28
Location: New Zealand

Postby cimino » Sat Jul 03, 2010 21:04

I don't know anything about US data plans, but the EDGE modem is unbearably SLOW. If you have a 3G cellphone, you could set up data plan on that, and tether it with your UX over bluetooth.

User avatar
qreese
Senior Member
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 20:10
Location: Roselle, NJ
Contact:

Postby qreese » Sun Jul 04, 2010 02:58

cimino wrote:I don't know anything about US data plans, but the EDGE modem is unbearably SLOW. If you have a 3G cellphone, you could set up data plan on that, and tether it with your UX over bluetooth.


So, I basically cannot use this as a phone then. I need a 3G (HSDPA) set-up over the EDGE set-up.

The seller on Ebay told me that the UX380N was 3G. :(
Sony Vaio UX-380n sold to a business via Ebay! :cool:

cimino
Senior Member
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 09:28
Location: New Zealand

Postby cimino » Sun Jul 04, 2010 04:53

EDGE is 2.5G. I guess the seller lied, or was ignorant.

A few people (three maybe) on these forums have done mods where they installed small 3G USB modems inside their UXs. Maybe this was done to your UX, but I doubt it.

Apparently, EDGE has a theoretical bandwidth of 236.8 kbit/s, which actually isn't all that slow (well, four times faster than dialup). Depends how patient you are, and how good the reception is.

User avatar
qreese
Senior Member
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 20:10
Location: Roselle, NJ
Contact:

Postby qreese » Sun Jul 04, 2010 07:15

cimino wrote:EDGE is 2.5G. I guess the seller lied, or was ignorant.

A few people (three maybe) on these forums have done mods where they installed small 3G USB modems inside their UXs. Maybe this was done to your UX, but I doubt it.

Apparently, EDGE has a theoretical bandwidth of 236.8 kbit/s, which actually isn't all that slow (well, four times faster than dialup). Depends how patient you are, and how good the reception is.


So, I technically can get away with using it as a phone right (Skype, etc.). :)
Sony Vaio UX-380n sold to a business via Ebay! :cool:

cimino
Senior Member
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 09:28
Location: New Zealand

Postby cimino » Sun Jul 04, 2010 08:07

I suppose so. Depends on reception and latency. Skype calls can work with very low bandwidth, but you'd probably notice some decrease in quality from a wired connection.

User avatar
qreese
Senior Member
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 20:10
Location: Roselle, NJ
Contact:

Postby qreese » Sun Jul 04, 2010 08:48

cimino wrote:I suppose so. Depends on reception and latency. Skype calls can work with very low bandwidth, but you'd probably notice some decrease in quality from a wired connection.


What do you know about Gizmo and Google Voice? How would you rate their bandwidth ability?

Thanks,
Q
Sony Vaio UX-380n sold to a business via Ebay! :cool:

Noah3210
Senior Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 16:26

Postby Noah3210 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 20:37

so has all of the bugs been taken out of this window 7? because when I had it earlier I think I had a problem with one of my cameras

Oginger1
Senior Member
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 14:55

Postby Oginger1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 00:51

Yes. All problems are fixed. Both cameras working and there's even a driver for the touchpanel (see other post)

jeanjaques
Junior Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 20:16

Postby jeanjaques » Wed Jul 21, 2010 07:48

Hi,
I have bought an older ux380n and I installed win7 ultimate cause vista was a nightmare. I have used the drivers from this post.
The problem is I cannot use the Edge modem. I have received a unlock code from Sony but I dont find the modem in system. Please help me.

Second, can I restore the applications in the Vaio Touch Launcher?
Thank you.


Return to “Software”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests