How to unlock the Sony Ericsson EDGE (SIM) module

Talk about the wireless features of the micro PC.
kathleenhenri

Postby kathleenhenri » Sun Apr 04, 2010 13:07

I tried everything possible to use my At&T GO Phone sim data card - reinstalled the OS, installed At&T's connection manager software, tried the Sony Ericsson connection software mentioned above, various APNs, passwords, etc, but all to no avail. I kept getting the error code 679 could not detect carrier. So I called AT&T and they told me that they DO NOT sell data cards unless they are connected with a monthly data plan! The AT&T store where I bought my card from seemed to think differently. So a cautionary note - do not try to use pay as you go data cards from AT&T.

UPDATE: Duh, I had never used a sim card before so thought that purchasing = activation. So, I had an epiphany about that, realized I could activate the card on line, and then inserted it into my UX180p and Voila! I have an edge connection. So if you need a WWAN connection and want to pay as you go, the card works.

DanT

Postby DanT » Tue May 04, 2010 17:19

kathleenhenri wrote:I tried everything possible to use my At&T GO Phone sim data card - reinstalled the OS, installed At&T's connection manager software, tried the Sony Ericsson connection software mentioned above, various APNs, passwords, etc, but all to no avail. I kept getting the error code 679 could not detect carrier. So I called AT&T and they told me that they DO NOT sell data cards unless they are connected with a monthly data plan! The AT&T store where I bought my card from seemed to think differently. So a cautionary note - do not try to use pay as you go data cards from AT&T.

UPDATE: Duh, I had never used a sim card before so thought that purchasing = activation. So, I had an epiphany about that, realized I could activate the card on line, and then inserted it into my UX180p and Voila! I have an edge connection. So if you need a WWAN connection and want to pay as you go, the card works.

Thanks for updating your message. I'm in the same situation like you, I want to use my AT&T pay as you go (Go Phone), insert the activated simcard but still getting the error code 679. I added the data plan feature of 100MB for $20 in my AT&T Go phone, if that is what you meant by activation. Since it is AT&T simcard, which is used to be Cingular, I haven't done any unlocking procedure. Do I need to do that?

gajetski

Postby gajetski » Tue May 04, 2010 22:04

you wont need to unlock because at&t contract sim cards are exactly the same as pre paid at&t sim cards. whats great is they have no control over what kind of device you put the sim into (as long as it isnt locked to another carrier) check out this loophole go phone customers have found to get Unlimited data for 20 per month. http://www.pocketables.net/2008/06/how-to-get-att.html (im not sure if at&t has put a stop to this or not as i dont have a go phone account to try it myself)

DanT

Postby DanT » Wed May 05, 2010 00:01

Thanks for the tips. I went to the link and reactivated my Go Phone but I still get that error 679 :(

Tried to unlock it using the 8 digit unlocking key provided by Sony Support via Hyper Terminal route up to this point:... "to Connect using, click the down arrow and click to select COM3." and found no option for COM3. The lowest Com is COM6. Then if I select COM6 and go to the next step that displays Hyper Terminal window, it doesn't even let me type "AT", so I don't even get access to enter the unlocking key. Help!

Update:
Sony Support explained to me that although my Go Phone simcard is an at&t simcard, the Sony Ericsson modem is locked to the original Cingular simcard that came with the UX180P, so I need to unlock the modem with the original Cingular simcard first before I can use the Go Phone simcard. My problem with Hyper Terminal window was that the Sony Ericsson modem was assigned to COM24 for some reason. After fixing that problem the problem is solved :D

raji85

Postby raji85 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:51

Hi its a simple thing to proceed with your mobile.. Simply way to unlock your mobile from here http://www.wickedunlock.com/ @ lo0west costs... I got this site http://www.wickedunlock.com/ for my mobile unlock process.. So you must follow the codes and instructions from that site.. Thats all its the best workout for your mobile process..

qreese

Postby qreese » Sat Jul 03, 2010 21:03

DanT wrote:Thanks for the tips. I went to the link and reactivated my Go Phone but I still get that error 679 :(

Tried to unlock it using the 8 digit unlocking key provided by Sony Support via Hyper Terminal route up to this point:... "to Connect using, click the down arrow and click to select COM3." and found no option for COM3. The lowest Com is COM6. Then if I select COM6 and go to the next step that displays Hyper Terminal window, it doesn't even let me type "AT", so I don't even get access to enter the unlocking key. Help!

Update:
Sony Support explained to me that although my Go Phone simcard is an at&t simcard, the Sony Ericsson modem is locked to the original Cingular simcard that came with the UX180P, so I need to unlock the modem with the original Cingular simcard first before I can use the Go Phone simcard. My problem with Hyper Terminal window was that the Sony Ericsson modem was assigned to COM24 for some reason. After fixing that problem the problem is solved :D

What COM port is the simcard for the UX380N suppose to be set on?
Sony Vaio UX-380n sold to a business via Ebay! :cool:

cimino

Postby cimino » Sat Jul 03, 2010 21:05

There is no fixed COM port. You just have to try the few which are listed in your terminal application.

qreese

Postby qreese » Sat Jul 03, 2010 22:10

Perfect timing. I just read all pages here as well. Boy . . . a lot of catching up! :)

I have a question. If Sony allows me to unlock my device, and I want to go to T-Mobile, can I keep my current sim modem in my UX Series device?

If not, this mean I have to got a T-Mobile modem in my UX series.

Yeggster

Postby Yeggster » Sat Jul 03, 2010 22:11

Once you unlock, the existing UX modem will operate with any classic sized SIM card regardless of the brand name

qreese

Postby qreese » Sun Jul 04, 2010 02:54

Yeggster wrote:Once you unlock, the existing UX modem will operate with any classic sized SIM card regardless of the brand name

So to clarify, my sim card and modem will work when I take it to the service providers (AT&T/Cingular and or T-Mobile).

All I would have to do at this point is sign-up for a data package plan right with no need to purchase another sim card or modem?

Thanks, :)
Q
P.S. I think I am going to try the email option to Sony. What is the email contact to use?

Return to “Wireless”