Wireless hardware control without SmartWi

Talk about the wireless features of the micro PC.
PJJP

Postby PJJP » Tue Sep 25, 2007 00:14

I run vista on a SZ691. I ran the KillGadget.bat file in the smartwi folder and then all the command line switches work just fine.

computercowboy

Postby computercowboy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 14:40

The SmartWiHelper2 Trick works great on XP on UX390n

I am using this as a connection manager

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/download/1/114/56/1192957389/4.2.7.81_GC83_GC85_EN.zip

I am attaching the SmartWiHelper2 with dll and some .bat files for XP
Attachments
SmartWiHelper2.zip
(8.56 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

TuBuGuRL

how do i disable WCULauncher.exe in AutoRun?

Postby TuBuGuRL » Fri May 23, 2008 07:23

daplumber wrote:OK, so props to the posters here for reawakening my interest in this annoyance, I think I've finally found a work around for me at any rate.

Please note that I have a UX180P and Windows XP Pro (Original image, heavily modified). I have no idea if this applies to Vista or if there's an equivalent, someone might want to check? :D

Note also that I still have SmartWi installed, I just have WCULauncher.exe disabled in AutoRun and the SmartWiservice set to manual. If you're not sure how to do this, you might want to reconsider futzing with SmartWi. :rolleyes:

On to the good stuff! The key turns out to be the tiny program:

C:\Program Files\Sony\SmartWi Connection Utility\WWANModuleUtils.exe

This is a command line only utility and the quick dump and scan along with a little experimentation have determined the following options:

/Cleanup : DON'T USE THIS! It seems to just delete the utility!
/WlanOff : Turns off the WiFi
/WlanOn : Turns on the WiFi and turns off the GC75 EDGE modem if on
/PowerOff : Turns the modem off
/WwanOnOnly : Turns on the modem BUT leaves the WiFi alone allowing you to have both enabled at once
/WaitDriverLoad : No idea what this does. Guessing that it's used to hold a startup process until the drivers are loaded during boot?
/PowerOn : Turns the modem on and the WiFi off if it's on
/Update : No idea what this does

Note that the utility doesn't give a help prompt that I could discover, nor does it give error messages for unrecognized commands. Commands appear to be case insensitive, but the above capitalization is how they appear in the binary.

The above is very fast as it's not doing SmartWi's XML, image, MFC and gods knows what else processing. A few shorcuts on the desktop to turn the hardware on and off suits me fine. I use the "WwanOnOnly" option rather than "PowerOn" for the modem just in case I feel like bridging my EDGE connection to WiFi and sharing it. Previous testing of mine has shown that the power consumed by these devices when not in use has a negligible effect on battery runtime, and certainly less than that wasted futzing with SmartWi. I do have the extended life larger battery, so I might be less sensitive than if I were using the regular one.

James

AWESOME post! a heckuva lot better than that durn SmartWi which kept pegging my processor. I created batch files on my desktop and switching the WWAN and WLan on and off is so fast and easy now. thanks so much for this info!

one question i have tho is disabling the AutoRun of the WCULauncher.exe. i set the SmartWi service to manual, but i couldn't figure out where this AutoRun setting is. Everytime i boot up now, the durn SmartWi starts up even tho i set the service to manual start. does anyone have any ideas?

thanks again!

computercowboy

Postby computercowboy » Fri May 23, 2008 13:43

TuBuGuRL wrote: Everytime i boot up now, the durn SmartWi starts up even tho i set the service to manual start. does anyone have any ideas?

If you set the service to disabled it will NEVER start, when set to manual applications can launch a service if needed

daplumber

Postby daplumber » Fri May 23, 2008 18:52

TuBuGuRL wrote:AWESOME post! a heckuva lot better than that durn SmartWi which kept pegging my processor. I created batch files on my desktop and switching the WWAN and WLan on and off is so fast and easy now. thanks so much for this info!

one question i have tho is disabling the AutoRun of the WCULauncher.exe. i set the SmartWi service to manual, but i couldn't figure out where this AutoRun setting is. Everytime i boot up now, the durn SmartWi starts up even tho i set the service to manual start. does anyone have any ideas?

thanks again!

You're welcome. Hey Admin! The notify feature is still working in spite of age of message! :D

Anyhoo, If you don't mind spelunking in the XP registry, you want these locations:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_Current_User\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_Current_User\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_Users\[I][B]user's GUID[/B][/I]\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Note if you prefer some safety, there are more than a few utilities that will let you edit these sections, generally described as "startup" or "service" programs.

James

Return to “Wireless”