Wireless hardware control without SmartWi

Talk about the wireless features of the micro PC.
rhotic

Postby rhotic » Thu May 03, 2007 15:56

Sorry, Intradev, I missed that... what is this smartwihelper2 that you've posted? Did you modify something? (maybe I'm just tired.) But this sounds like good news. I want this to actually work right.

Between us all we'll get thing resolved - Mrmuzz

Exactly. I'll be really busy until Saturday, but I'll be back.

daplumber

Postby daplumber » Thu May 03, 2007 18:14

rhotic wrote:bit of a digression, but question... if you are using the CCM with T-Mobile, how are you getting around the fact that CCM tries to call home every 30 days, and if it can't, it doesn't work? ...or is that just on the Vista version?

Again: this is under XP, hopefully it's similar for Vista. Three ways I've tried of turning off the CCM nag and using it with another provider's SIM after unlocking your modem:

1) Borrow a Cingular SIM and go through the I-already-have-an-account-and-SIM process.
2) Edit the registry and find the "Activated" entry and change the DWORD from 0 to 1.
3) Uninstall the CCM that came with the UX and download and install the newest one from Cingular which assumes that you wouldn't do that unless you already have a valid account and SIM and doesn't seem to care about Activation or phone home.

James

MrMuzz

Postby MrMuzz » Thu May 03, 2007 21:51

So I've gotten wifi and wlan to work simultaneously in a hokey fashion doing these steps.....

1. Get WLAN enabled via smartwitogglet (fn+f)

2. rename file extension of dll to dl c:\program files\sony\smartwi connection utility\plugins\kinoubi.plugins.plugin.wwanpower.dll

3. Let cingular cm connect manually disconnect then close ccm.

4. Kill ccp.exe and powermanager.exe

5. restart ccp.exe and powermanager.exe

6. created a dialup connection using the ericsson modem.(only do the 1st time see ending comments)

7 used smartwitogglet (fn+f) to enable wifi and/or bluetooth

8. Used dialup connection.

9. Bridge ericsson wlan and intel wireless connections

If you do not rename the file back before a reboot you will get a .net framework error. Rename the file extension back to dll, and kill ccp.exe (powermanager.exe fails to start because of the error) Restart ccp.exe and powermanager.exe; unbridge connections and you're back to where your started, to fake out the powersettings repeat the above 9 steps.

If anyone knows this code maybe please ......pretty please fix c:\program files\sony\smartwi connection utility\plugins\kinoubi.plugins.plugin.wwanpower.dll
so it doesn't shut down WLAN when WWAN is selected ;)

MrMuzz

Postby MrMuzz » Thu May 03, 2007 22:11

i realized after previous post cingular cm will work, delete the dun cause it tries to become default connection :)

Intradev

Postby Intradev » Thu May 03, 2007 22:41

rhotic SmartWiManager2 is the tiny utility that ships with the Edge Firmware update package. It works in Vista well.

Intradev

Postby Intradev » Fri May 04, 2007 06:30

It had been working well but not so much later this evening. After a few suspends/resumes it appears the Edge modem gets hung. I will keep trying.

wuzmaname

Postby wuzmaname » Sat May 05, 2007 09:16

if I don't use the edge modem, would there be any other implications if I deleted power management and/or smartwi?
Sony UX390N

CPU: Core Solo U1500
CPU Speed: 1.33 Ghz
RAM: 1024MB
HDD: SSD 32GB
MemoryStick: SanDisk Ultra II 2GB
External HDD: 2.5" 60GB

raymng

Postby raymng » Sun May 06, 2007 05:30

Anyone can confirm that I can still use non-Cingular SIM card for connecting to Internet even I can't let "Cingular Connection Manager" phone home on Vista (UX390N) ???

If this can't be made, I will cancel my order of UX.

Thanks!!

:)
________
Mflb

Intradev

Postby Intradev » Sun May 06, 2007 05:34

I'm not sure the exact nature of the question. I use Tmo SIM with no problems. I think the Sony OEM version of CCM that's available for download doesn't "care". FYI I've downloaded and installed the latest version of CCM from Cingular. Both still work fine. I do remember seeing warnings about non-Cingular SIM but hasn't affected me yet.

raymng

Postby raymng » Sun May 06, 2007 05:46

Intradev wrote:I'm not sure the exact nature of the question. I use Tmo SIM with no problems. I think the Sony OEM version of CCM that's available for download doesn't "care". FYI I've downloaded and installed the latest version of CCM from Cingular. Both still work fine. I do remember seeing warnings about non-Cingular SIM but hasn't affected me yet.

Hi Intradev, another member said that CCM needs to phone home every 30 days otherwise it will be deactivated... so if I'm not living in US, I can't let it phone home (Cingular), then I can't use it after 30 days, right ?

My question is simply that how can I get rid of this problem?
Do you mean there are other versions of CCM that don't need to phone home??

Thanks.
:confused:
________
Ford Essex V6 Engine (Uk) Specifications

Return to “Wireless”