Wireless hardware control without SmartWi

Talk about the wireless features of the micro PC.
rhotic

Postby rhotic » Tue May 08, 2007 00:50

I am using my UX390N on the Rogers network in Canada, with a Rogers SIM and the Cingular Connection Manager. This is not a problem. I'm still not too sure about how long CCM is going to last. It stopped working and told me I needed to connect to the Cingular network, after 4 days. I looked all through the registry for something to change. Then I messed around with the Activation Manager... I got it working again. I wish I could tell you how. Unfortunately, I did catch which sequence of entries allowed it to restart.
However, I can tell you without a doubt, the UX390N will work on other networks with other SIM cards, while using CCM.

I am currently trying to test this while removing Smartwi and CCM, looking for other programs other than these...
- because CCM supposedly has these time-out issues
- because Smartwi is a resources PIG.

rhotic

Postby rhotic » Tue May 08, 2007 02:25

...okay, so regarding trying to get this working without Smartwi... I purchased Ghost 12 for Vista and backed it up, in case of problems. (I didn't bargain for this.) Unfortunately, I have it all set up just the way I want it. But I'm getting friggin sick of this. I'm not sure there is any nice way of doing this...

I removed Smartwi and CCM, and WLAN and Bluetooth would start up if I turned on the wireless switch. (I don't know if it is because if was the last thing I had enabled). I don't know what process or service the wireless switch launches. I tried, but I can't tell. If all I had to launch was the WLAN and BT, then I could live with this. So, if any of you have the UX390N and don't care to use WWAN, just remove Smartwi and CCM, and you'll be fine without this horrible dragging down of processor resources.

I don't understand there was 1 update each for Smartwi Powermanager and Smartwi/CCM. They didn't help this issue at ALL!

Following that is the frustrating bad news about the WWAN. I don't know to get that thing working some other way. You can't get it working just by loading another connection manager. Smartwi is the real problem, and it apparently needs it. Even if you just launch smarttogglet and smarttoggletproxy, which allows the F + Fn wireless chooser to work, it still doesn't enable anything. It's there, but at this point, it doesn't work.

On the other hand, if you try to figure out which are the real problematic process, there I didn't come up with anything either. Activationmanager and Thirdpartymanager (I don't know what the heck these are for) apparently can be shut down without bothering anything that I've noticed yet (even though they do use the processor for something) BUT powermanager (which uses like 40% of the processor by itself) cannot be shutdown or the WWAN doesn't work either.

I hope someone else is able to do something with this, cause, I don't know, I might be done...
I think this is really bad news for Vista on the UX390N. I will probably just install Windows XP, at this point, since people seem to report much better things with it. For those of you who are wondering whether to buy the UX390, I really don't want to see sales of it go down and support to dry up, but I can't recommend it at this point. I am wondering why I bought it at this point. I think there are cheaper UXes with WWAN, at very least.

Nice try, Sony, but you need to test your product and support it. Things like this turn people away from buying Sony stuff at all. It's too bad that this tiny little program that they could probably fix quite easily with a little effort stands between these issues and truly awesome mobile PC. I'm really disappointed with the hours and hours of experimenting that I've been putting in here.

Somebody, please tell me you've come up with something else...

raymng

Postby raymng » Tue May 08, 2007 03:21

rhotic wrote:I am using my UX390N on the Rogers network in Canada, with a Rogers SIM and the Cingular Connection Manager. This is not a problem. I'm still not too sure about how long CCM is going to last. It stopped working and told me I needed to connect to the Cingular network, after 4 days. I looked all through the registry for something to change. Then I messed around with the Activation Manager... I got it working again. I wish I could tell you how. Unfortunately, I did catch which sequence of entries allowed it to restart.
However, I can tell you without a doubt, the UX390N will work on other networks with other SIM cards, while using CCM.

I am currently trying to test this while removing Smartwi and CCM, looking for other programs other than these...
- because CCM supposedly has these time-out issues
- because Smartwi is a resources PIG.

Have you tried the following connection managers? Can they replace the CCM?

http://www.bvrp.com/eng/products/connectionmanager/feature_PRO.asp
http://www.builderau.com.au/downloads/0,339026043,10455093s,00.htm
________
Chrysler patriot

rhotic

Postby rhotic » Tue May 08, 2007 09:26

Someone in one of these forums tried the T-Mobile one in Vista and it didn't work... can't find the link right now.
I sent e-mail to BVRP to ask if their's works in Vista... haven't got a reply yet.
There are 3 issues here.... 1) do they work in Vista? 2) we still the bigger problem with SmartWi (which makes your fan sound like a jet engine, and burns battery power with its constant 50% usage of the processor) 3) with those former 2 programs taken out, do we have a driver for the Sony WWAN.

rhotic

Postby rhotic » Tue May 08, 2007 09:30

http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1447&page=9

Sorry, the exact story is that daplumber tried and could not get the modem driver to work under XP.

Neither the T-Mobile nor the BVRP claim Vista support on their webpages.

raymng

Postby raymng » Tue May 08, 2007 16:19

rhotic wrote:http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1447&page=9

Sorry, the exact story is that daplumber tried and could not get the modem driver to work under XP.

Neither the T-Mobile nor the BVRP claim Vista support on their webpages.

Have you tried the other program ("SmartWiHelper2.zip") provided by another member?

http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1920
________
CHRYSLER JAVA HISTORY

rhotic

Postby rhotic » Tue May 08, 2007 20:56

No. That's from XP. XP progs can do nasty things in Vista. Sorry, I'm not going to try it.

daplumber

Postby daplumber » Tue May 08, 2007 21:34

rhotic wrote:No. That's from XP. XP progs can do nasty things in Vista. Sorry, I'm not going to try it.

True. However I believe that smartwihelper2 is for Vista. As for CCM: I can verify that the latest version for XP works just fine with a T-Mobile SIM after unlocking the modem. Under Vista I'd suggest unlocking the modem first, then uninstalling the Sony Supplied CCM, download the newest Vista CCM from Cingular and install and try that. Note that you'll have to create a suitable profile for your wireless provider. If you want to try some other CM you'll have to dig the drivers out of one or the other CCM and install manually as no one else seems to have drivers for the GC_75 modem, even on Sony Ericsson's site.

James

justbooks

Postby justbooks » Wed May 09, 2007 06:22

rhotic wrote:Someone in one of these forums tried the T-Mobile one in Vista and it didn't work... can't find the link right now.
I sent e-mail to BVRP to ask if their's works in Vista... haven't got a reply yet.
There are 3 issues here.... 1) do they work in Vista? 2) we still the bigger problem with SmartWi (which makes your fan sound like a jet engine, and burns battery power with its constant 50% usage of the processor) 3) with those former 2 programs taken out, do we have a driver for the Sony WWAN.

T-mobile's manager works fine in Vista on my 390. You need to set it to run in XP mode but otherwise not really an issue. I used it for several weeks but eventually went back to Cingular's because of ease of integration with SmartWi. SmartWi is still awful when activating WLAN.

Intradev

Postby Intradev » Wed May 09, 2007 17:01

The exe i supplied is part of the Sony cingular firmware upade utility package FOR VISTA.

Can someone provide a link to the tmo connection utility? Thanks.

Return to “Wireless”