Sierra Wwan Gps Card

Talk about the wireless features of the micro PC.
telefonche

Sierra Wwan Gps Card

Postby telefonche » Fri Jan 06, 2012 18:30

Hi all, I own a Sony Vaio UX 390N.I got in it a Ericsson F3507G WWAN GPS card. The issue is that the GPS feature of this Card is available ONLY WHEN there is a SIM card inserted in the SIM slot. This i s not convenient because I need the SIM to be in my phone, and still use the GPS feature of the Ericsson card.
I intend to change the Ericsson WWAN GPS card with a SIERRA Wireless AirPrime WWAN MC8790 3G GPS card .
Can anyone tell me if the Sierra card GPS feature can work WITHOUT a SIM card inserted in the SIM slot?Is there such a requirement to insert a SIM in order to use the GPS feature of the SIerra Card?
Thank you

PS. I am sure that the GPS does not need a SIM card in order to work BUT the Ericsson Card Drivers for some reason need the SIM card to be inserted in the SIM slot.

ceehoppy1st

Postby ceehoppy1st » Fri Jan 06, 2012 21:26

If you feel like doing a hardware mod- anh had wired the Sony's EDGE modem sim card slot to an internal 3G modem so he could change the sim from the outside. He soldered wires from the UX sim slot to the 3G modem's sim slot (like an extension cord).
UX280 U7700- ssd of the day - hardware test toy
UX37GN stock- U1500-hdd

telefonche

Postby telefonche » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:31

Hi thanks for your reply. I do not want to mod the SIM card slot, i already did such mod.The question is if the Sierra card GPS service can work without the need of a SIM card inserted in the slot. I want to use the GPS feature of the wwan card without a SIM card in the slot and ask if this is possible for SIERRA card, because this is not possible with the Ericsson wwan card

Return to “Wireless”