Hello

Discuss anything non-micro PC related.
niteman1969

Hello

Postby niteman1969 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 22:40

Hello,
new member, have been reading a little while and have had a ux1xn
for a while, bought it on a whim when seeing it in a local computer shop.

After playing with it for a couple of days it has been in a drawer for months.
Nice machine, but I had classed it as a cool but too slow to be really useable.

I stumbled across these forums somehow yesterday and noticed that they
are much loved and decided to try again.

Seeing as these are faster than a netbook I decided to try windows 7 home
premium on it but was dissapointed by the performance and almost constant
running low on memory notifications.

So then i decided to treat it as a netbook and put windows 7 starter on it
with Gabe's excellent driver pack.

It is a revelation a fast as heck netbook alternative that does not make you
watch blue rings turning all the time and shows the atoms a clean pair of heels.

Quite frankly it does what I want, and the eye candy of aero etc, is not much
of a loss for the gain in performance over home premium.

So from a machine that was unloved in a drawer, it had me up till 5am installing
2 different versions of windows 7 and looks like it will become my daily travelling
companion.

It definately wowed my collegues at work today, a few of them could not get their
head round such a tiny, but fully functional windows 7 pc.

Anyway thanks to all the people who have posted all the interesting information
on here, which greatly helped me in making this possible.

Regards

Niteman1969

bigs

Postby bigs » Tue Jun 14, 2011 04:37

hi niteman1969

good to see you are finding a place for your ux. What I find really kewl about it is the formfactor which dates back to 2006, and is still pretty revolutionary today, thanks to its proper x86 CPU, and none of this low power low performing atom CPUs.

Good to know that turning off aero can give a performance hit for the UX running windows 7. I myself run compiz on linux which is the equivalent of aero, and in linux it actually improves performance of the whole unit, rather than slowing it down ,but thats Microsoft for you, always pushing users to continuously update their hardware over time.

Anyhow, welcome dude, look forward to seeing your input more on your experiences with the UX
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard
OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!
sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate
light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

ceehoppy1st

Postby ceehoppy1st » Tue Jun 14, 2011 06:15

Yes, welcome indeed to the forum. If your UX had the sony-installed Vista, then it doesn't surprise me that it was slow, even with a solid state drive. The UX1XN is the same as the US-spec UX-390n - 1.33 GHz core-solo cpu, 1 GB RAM, 32 GB samsung ssd. Instead of a uselessly slow 2g WWAN modem, you have a uselessly slow CF card slot. Happy UX-ing.

I'm kind of curious, what all did you install with your win7 home edition? I run win7 pro on my UX-280 (also 1 GB RAM) & after bootup it shows about 500MB free memory. (vista used 600-650 MB)
UX280 U7700- ssd of the day - hardware test toy
UX37GN stock- U1500-hdd

niteman1969

Postby niteman1969 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 21:30

Nothing unusual just anti-virus, flash, java and silverlight but I guess its just that i like to
have too many things open at once...

Macken1980

Postby Macken1980 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 13:19

hi... I was searching were i should find the extended battery replacement for Sony Vaio UX57gn which the battery model is VGP BPL6.. I dont where to find it here in the philippines. Anyone who could help me and How much it is in Philippine Peso.. thanks!

Return to “Off Topic”