Sony UX still alive 2018

Talk about the hardware components of the micro PC.
bigs
Senior Member
Posts: 1601
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 21:07

Sony UX still alive 2018

Postby bigs » Tue Apr 17, 2018 22:50

Just wondering how many Sony UX users there are still, and if so how many still use it!

My Anh Modified U7700 UX is still working! Still using the UX as my daily driver. It does seems to be getting a little slow for come web sites, but otherwise still a brilliant machine to run Ubuntu 12.04. What I have notice though, with the aging components, the UX is not as reliable as it used to be when running at full speed 1.33Ghz. I found by down throttling it to 1.07Ghz, stability is improved. Also to further improve reliability, I have found that decresing the undervolt feature also improves reliability. It seems as the UX gets older, it is becomes less tolerant of running at higher frequencies and where it used to be stable at a lower voltage (save battery and heat) now requires more volts. Suspect the voltage regulator may be getting temperamental. Wonder if this can be easily repaired or replaced.

Look forward to hearing from anyone out there in the UX land :)


Bigs

TheGuyNamedGuy
Junior Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 03:30

Re: Sony UX still alive 2018

Postby TheGuyNamedGuy » Mon May 07, 2018 15:53

I still use mine. It sat idle on my desk for the past two years, but I've been using it again on vacation this week. Forgot how much I missed this thing. I do wish it had more RAM though lol.

Mine also has the Anh upgrade.

TheGuyNamedGuy
Junior Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 03:30

Re: Sony UX still alive 2018

Postby TheGuyNamedGuy » Mon May 07, 2018 15:54

Mine is very stable btw. Have underclocked it a bit with Throttlestop just to cool it down; otherwise it gets up to about 70C.

User avatar
anh
Senior Member
Posts: 963
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 06:59

Re: Sony UX still alive 2018

Postby anh » Sat May 19, 2018 06:56

Glad to see you guys still around here.
It's almost 10 years from the first one I modded.
Even though I don't do it anymore but just did another upgrade for one in CA.

Aibomick
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:21
Location: Pego, Spain
Contact:

Re: Sony UX still alive 2018

Postby Aibomick » Sat May 26, 2018 15:55

Oh yes - still out here and still using the UX (390 with Samsung 64Gb SSD - Windows 7)

Have to say - especially to Bigs - am now running Xubuntu 16.04.4 on more or less ALL my other micros (Sharp WS016SH, U810, U8270, Samsung Q1..... not on Sony Vaio P - runs like a dog and overheats even with 64Gb SSD :cry ) and just finally given up and put it on my MacBook Pro.....

I just like having all the bits work on the UX with Windows :thumbup:

Hi to all you UXers!

Also have to say the Fujitsu FMV8270 knocks spots off all my other UMPCs..... fast, slick... 128Gb SSD.... touch screen, keyboards lights, etc..... sorry Sony! 5.6" screen running at 1280x800!

Aibomick

Aibomick
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:21
Location: Pego, Spain
Contact:

Re: Sony UX still alive 2018

Postby Aibomick » Sat May 26, 2018 15:59

PS
Believe it or not just picked up 2 x OQO Model 01+s at a BOOTMARKET in Spain with dock cable for 17€.... yes - seventeen! One worked for a while - HDD failed - have one on order (50-pin PATA 1.8") and the other already had failing HDD but dodgy screen.... so spare case/motherboard etc.

Yes - I know they're rubbish - had them before - but simply couldn't leave them there!

Yes - I'll be putting Xubuntu on it - yay!

UMPC collection ever growing....

bigs
Senior Member
Posts: 1601
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 21:07

Re: Sony UX still alive 2018

Postby bigs » Mon Jul 16, 2018 03:11

Aibomick wrote:Oh yes - still out here and still using the UX (390 with Samsung 64Gb SSD - Windows 7)

Have to say - especially to Bigs - am now running Xubuntu 16.04.4 on more or less ALL my other micros (Sharp WS016SH, U810, U8270, Samsung Q1..... not on Sony Vaio P - runs like a dog and overheats even with 64Gb SSD :cry ) and just finally given up and put it on my MacBook Pro.....

I just like having all the bits work on the UX with Windows :thumbup:

Hi to all you UXers!

Also have to say the Fujitsu FMV8270 knocks spots off all my other UMPCs..... fast, slick... 128Gb SSD.... touch screen, keyboards lights, etc..... sorry Sony! 5.6" screen running at 1280x800!

Aibomick


It is for this reason I am still on Ubuntu 12.04. I tried Ubuntu 14 and found alot of the support for the UX chipset had limited support. The display driver issue was the main concern where the UX would simply either work with an external VGA or internal, but not both. If both was enabled, the GPU performance was unbearable. I did look out for fixes, but the best fix was to disable the internal UX display, and reboot to use the external VGA.

Ubuntu 12.04, the GPU works near perfect, fingerprint sensor, front camera, thumb stick, power saving and touch screen all work harmoniously.

bigs
Senior Member
Posts: 1601
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 21:07

Re: Sony UX still alive 2018

Postby bigs » Mon Jul 16, 2018 03:14

anh wrote:Glad to see you guys still around here.
It's almost 10 years from the first one I modded.
Even though I don't do it anymore but just did another upgrade for one in CA.


Hi Anh. My Anh UX is still going strong! It does have some moments when full throttling at 1.33Ghz, but apart from that it still runs well.

Good to see you still can mod the UX even though you don't really do them anymore. whats your latest UMPC? Do you still use one?

ferlanero
Junior Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 15:21

Re: Sony UX still alive 2018

Postby ferlanero » Mon Jul 16, 2018 14:52

Hi guys!

I still have 2 of these VAIO UX as my daily drivers for the Media Center at my house. For that purpose it performs pretty good running https://manjaro32.org/ (Budgie desktop Edition). The only hack I have done is the 400mhz GMA graphic adaptor overclocking. I would have liked to mod it with the U7700 chipset but I haven't had chance. Anyways, the VAIO UX series still are a very good UMPC!

bigs
Senior Member
Posts: 1601
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 21:07

Re: Sony UX still alive 2018

Postby bigs » Tue Jul 17, 2018 02:43

ferlanero wrote:Hi guys!

I still have 2 of these VAIO UX as my daily drivers for the Media Center at my house. For that purpose it performs pretty good running https://manjaro32.org/ (Budgie desktop Edition). The only hack I have done is the 400mhz GMA graphic adaptor overclocking. I would have liked to mod it with the U7700 chipset but I haven't had chance. Anyways, the VAIO UX series still are a very good UMPC!



Thats good to hear! UXes at work. although not so much for portable use. Never used Budgie before, it this a Linux Distro. When I click the link, it says it is discontinued.


Return to “Hardware”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests