Re: Sony is Refusing to Unlock any SIM with Vista

Talk about the wireless features of the micro PC.
dgrilli

Re: Sony Refusing to unlock the UX with Vista Discussion

Postby dgrilli » Fri Mar 02, 2007 00:35

I have just got off of the phone with Sony Tech Support. They told me they are refusing to unlock any UX's rthat came running Windows Vista. I just went round and round with these guys transferred a couple of times the End Result is NO period.

There was a post by someone here asking me why I was so bent out of shape over this? This same poster told he had just unlocked his 390N Yesterday and to google for Hyper Terminal. Well I got it and no dice.

I'm interested in Taking these guys to court. I was told before I bought this machine that all I had to do do was call them and they would unlock it for me.

This is not a case of they don't have the ability. This is false and nothing more than refusing to do this.

Someone also said I could download a program from one of the carriers and use that? But would the Software see the other carrier's Sim in the Cingular slot on the 390n?

Any suggestions on getting the 390N Unlocked will be appreciated.
VGN-UX-390N
Since Feb 27th 2007
Windows Vista Business
Reinstalled Back to Original

Dying2Live

Postby Dying2Live » Fri Mar 02, 2007 02:41

how many different reps did u speak with? different reps say diff things...did u by from sony style? if so call them, and get then to try, they have more room......also, if a recent purchase, threaten to return. but definately try another rep! there just sitting in a box reading there teleprompter..... theres no reason not to unlock.

dgrilli

Postby dgrilli » Fri Mar 02, 2007 03:13

I have spoken to 5 different Reps since the 28th Wednesday. I have not even had the machine 2 full days and dang this is really bothering me! Like spending that kind of money on a piece of equipment not even sold by Cingular locked to their network.

I wonder how many here have bought UX 390N's and have unlocked them yet?

And if there are any how did you do it?
VGN-UX-390N

Since Feb 27th 2007

Windows Vista Business

Reinstalled Back to Original

P996

Postby P996 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 17:55

I honestly don't understand why Sony is selling the UX models "locked" to Cingular, especially since they are willing to provide the unlock code to anybody who calls them. Doesn't make ANY sense to me. It seems to be some sort of annoyance for customers and Sony should start to learn to be customer-friendly (their reputation has been pretty bad in the past, especially since that music copy protection desaster) and to offer UNLOCKED UX models from the start.

As to Windows Vista and unlocking: the problem with those reps is that they insist on "guiding" you through the unlocking process. Last time I asked them for the code but the guy on the phone FORCED me to stay with him on the phone and to guide me through the unlocking process like a little stupid child. I told this guy that I'm an IT pro and that I just need the code based on my UX data, nothing else but he refused. Incredible. :mad:

enterman

Postby enterman » Fri Mar 02, 2007 17:59

P996 wrote:I honestly don't understand why Sony is selling the UX models "locked" to Cingular, especially since they are willing to provide the unlock code to anybody who calls them. Doesn't make ANY sense to me. It seems to be some sort of annoyance for customers and Sony should start to learn to be customer-friendly (their reputation has been pretty bad in the past, especially since that music copy protection desaster) and to offer UNLOCKED UX models from the start.

As to Windows Vista and unlocking: the problem with those reps is that they insist on "guiding" you through the unlocking process. Last time I asked them for the code but the guy on the phone FORCED me to stay with him on the phone and to guide me through the unlocking process like a little stupid child. I told this guy that I'm an IT pro and that I just need the code based on my UX data, nothing else but he refused. Incredible. :mad:

How did he force u? Did he hold a gun to your head? To someone else's head?
Want to know what games work and don't work on your UX? Read my list.
Just do a clean install of Vista and come here for driver assistance? Download my pack: here.

P996

Postby P996 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 18:16

enterman wrote:How did he force u? Did he hold a gun to your head? To someone else's head?

Very simple: he REFUSED to give me the unlock code unless I'm willing to have him "walk" me through the unlocking process. If this isn't called FORCING, I don't know how to call this, sorry. I had two choices: let him do his thing (which I did) or to refuse and to hang up the phone without getting the unlock code. How do YOU call this? Customer support?! :p

Sinful

Postby Sinful » Fri Mar 02, 2007 18:42

Hi,

I work for Sony and as soon Cingular gives the okay to unlock it, I will be more than happy to provide the info.

MeanSquare

Postby MeanSquare » Fri Mar 02, 2007 19:16

Walking you through the process is the rep's way of limiting user error. Take a look through the upgrading to Vista threads for the number of folks who said "I did everything, exactly as you said I should, and it doesn't work." I'll concede that it's annoying, but you have to realize that the rep has absolutely no guarantee that you're as expert as you profess. You end up with more happy customers by walking them through the process. (You also end up with a few annoyed l33ts.)

As far as why Sony sells the UX locked to Cingular, it's because Cingular subsidizes the cost of the UX in order to hook people into their service. (It's the same reason that a cell phone costs quite a bit more if you buy it without a cellular contract. By law, the phones and computers cannot be indelibly tethered to a service provider, so they create this unlocking procedure to follow the law but still hook as many people as possible into the carrier that's helping to pay the bills.
MeanSquare
--------------
[color="YellowGreen"]UX390N[/color] [color="Cyan"](Core Solo U1500 (1.33GHz), 1GB RAM, 32GB Solid State Drive)[/color] [color="Yellow"]clean installed with Windows 8 Beta [/color]
[color="YellowGreen"]UX90S[/color] [color="Cyan"](Core Solo U1400 (1.2GHz), 512MB RAM, 30GB Hard Drive)[/color] [color="Yellow"] clean installed with Windows 8 Beta [/color]

justbooks

Postby justbooks » Fri Mar 02, 2007 20:17

Sinful wrote:Hi,

I work for Sony and as soon Cingular gives the okay to unlock it, I will be more than happy to provide the info.

Sony has the codes to unlock them now. I received the code for my 390n this week. It took two calls but the 2nd rep provided the code almost immediately.

MathProfJohnson

Postby MathProfJohnson » Fri Mar 02, 2007 22:17

dgrilli wrote:I have just got off of the phone with Sony Tech Support. They told me they are refusing to unlock any UX's rthat came running Windows Vista. I just went round and round with these guys transferred a couple of times the End Result is NO period.

There was a post by someone here asking me why I was so bent out of shape over this? This same poster told he had just unlocked his 390N Yesterday and to google for Hyper Terminal. Well I got it and no dice.

I'm interested in Taking these guys to court. I was told before I bought this machine that all I had to do do was call them and they would unlock it for me.

This is not a case of they don't have the abitlity. This is false and nothing more than refusing to do this.

Someone also said I could download a program from one of the carriers and use that? But would the Software see the other carrier's Sim in the Cingular slot on the 390n?

Any suggestions on getting the 390N Unlocked will be appreciated.

I haven't unlocked by 280P since I have Cingular anyway, but can someone explain to me why the code for unlocking the 280P doesn't work for the 390N?

Fujitsu u810 w/Vista, AT&T 3G :D
OQO 02 better w/Vista, Verizon EVDO A :eek:
Acer Aspire One XP Light, AT&T 3G
HP TC1100 (w/Vista)
Samsung Q1-U (w/Vista) :rolleyes: For sale
Sony UX280P (w/Vista)- Core Solo U1400, 1.2 GHZ, 1GB Ram, 40 GD HDD :o For sale

Return to “Wireless”