The Sony VAIO P Series Lifestyle PC

Discuss Micro PC news from the front page.
ruffnexx

Vaio P series

Postby ruffnexx » Thu Feb 19, 2009 23:35

i recently took the plunge and bought one as my trusty tr2mp had served me well and i was giving it away ( an excuse...i know) i own a ux71 and in my opinion they are 2 different beasts, it actually runs vista quite well, if you turn off aero....i never liked vista anyway...it isnt as portable as the ux as i can hold that in both hands, and i tend to use the ux in the car or in bed, however the 3G on the P is great, if i could i would dismantle the p just to get that card into the ux..then itll be my ultimate gadget. however i digress i think the P series is useful for a portable mini workstation.....i actually typed up a report and analysed data with SPSS, wich i found difficult to do with the UX, and i tended to use the ux for presentations, emails and invoicing however i can see myself doing my Thesis on this gorgeous peice of kit....to cut a long story short they both have a special place in my gadgety heart!!

uxjunkie

Postby uxjunkie » Fri Feb 20, 2009 07:12

I took a look at the P at the Sony store and wanted to like it, but I found it's size to be too large for me as a UX replacement and too small to be a laptop replacement. I like the way it looks, though, and if it were cheaper, I'd probably jump all over it, but with its current processor and current price, I can't see any good reason to add it to my current stable of 5 Sony Vaios.

devdas

Postby devdas » Wed Mar 04, 2009 14:49

Hi guys !

i want to change my HDD in my vaio P, i d like to change it to SSD

Can you please give me the reference of SSD HD that is ok for vaio P

thanks a lot
best regards

ruffnexx

Postby ruffnexx » Mon Mar 09, 2009 23:33

i recently upgraded the vaio p hdd, at the moment itll only take a 5mm hdd, due to space constraints, so u are limited to 80gb samsung drive which is a lot better and faster than stock, google samsung HS082HB, its about 60 dollars on ebay

billr

Postby billr » Sun Apr 26, 2009 21:44

** I don't need to say I'm new to UMPC, my question is for a UX380N, not a VAIO P series **
Hi BillR here - New to the forum, and starting on an unhappy note. My new-to-me UX380N UMPC was slightly manhandled by my 18 month old granddaughter and I'm pretty sure the HDD is toast [it was in the case and droped onto a carpet from probably 20"]. I've only had the thing for a week, so am less than excited about needing to replace the hard drive, but the post here might take care of that. There is a samsung HS082HB on eBay for $80 and in an eBay store for $75. It sounds like I should go for that, but is this something a slightly hamhanded tinkerer can replace, or do I need a professional to do that? I'll have to save other operating questions for when the unit is operating. The previous owner installed XP Professional on it [and it would not find my camera to download pictures], but I'm willing to try Vista. Is there a way to install a solid state drive as in the later UX models, or should I stick with a microcrive?
Thanks - BillR

darkerx

Postby darkerx » Mon Apr 27, 2009 01:00

You can put whatever 1.8' zif disk in any UX (hdd or any ssd).
Anyway, if I were you I would PM Ahn on this subject (he is the best hardware guru in this forum... :) he installed a U7700 (core 2 duo@1.33ghz) and a 120gb hdd in my UX280P...)

Valnar

Postby Valnar » Mon Jun 22, 2009 08:17

In this summer Sony will update the VGN P Series.

It will come now with an Atom 550 (2.0Ghz), Wimax and maybe the high end model with an 256gb SSD.

The other specs like 2GB Ram and LED display are the same.

Benchmarks are attached :)
Attachments
Vaio P.jpg

enterman

Postby enterman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:02

Those benchmarks are nearly unreadable. In other news, the VAIO P is still an abysmal line of PC's that made every loyal UX user cry. Really, do a lot of people still care about it? Besides Jenn's flock over at Pocketables of course :P
Want to know what games work and don't work on your UX? Read my list.
Just do a clean install of Vista and come here for driver assistance? Download my pack: here.

Valnar

Postby Valnar » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:16

http://www.pocketables.net/2009/03/benchmarks-of-all-sony-vaio-p-models.html

Mh readable :)

This thread is about the Vaio P. When you don´t like it, make a thread "I don´t like Vaio P series."
And I think when there is such a thread, I can post something new!

darkerx

Postby darkerx » Mon Jun 22, 2009 19:39

Yes, this thread is about the Vaio P.... and it's one of the most disappointing machine ever...

This has nothing to do with like/dislike, but everything with the benchmark you linked:
Soooo fancy, Sooooo slow....=> sooooo overpriced...

A perfect toy for little girls... not for it enthousiasts... :)
UX490: 'Anh's Design'=U7700/ 128gbssd/ quad-boot(MacosX/W7/Vista/XP)/ cellphone-voice /7.2mbps modem
UX280P: overclocked prototype of the 490
UX1XN: stock=>TVset for my 22 months old daughter
3 Jornada HP728/HP 720: gps/wifi/webcam/etc. dead/closed architecture

Return to “News”