Partial tap fix for Alps DualPoint Stick on actual linux versions

bigs

Postby bigs » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:30

Ubuntu 12, is pretty refined now. It does not really need much tweaking to get it running good. As I run a u7700 on my UX, thereis not issues playing HD videos, be it 1080p or 720. The drivers for Intel GMA950 work really well.Playing 1080p videos uses like 60-70% CPUwihhc is acceptable.

I have not tried win8 yet, and will prob wait for it to come out in full release before trying it. How does win8 deal with memory? I know WIn7 does not perform well with 1Gb RAM, infact it is quite sluggish, and frequently uses the page file. Ubuntu, on the other hand uses very little memory, and allows me to multi task, IM, surfing multiple tabs, etc all at once.

It iwll be interesting how win8 will fare against ubuntu, as both are designed more for touch based devices. But being a Microsoft product, it may demand even more RAM than even Win7, as there is atrend for PCs to have more RAM as part of the planned obsolesce requirements
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard
OS: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 lucid & now 12.04 Precise Pangolin!
sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate
light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

harryfokker

Postby harryfokker » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:52

Believe me when im saying that W8 consumes less RAM than Win7 or uses better, but i dont wanna use this thread to describes it, i wanna make a Video showing you Guys, im using Windows 8 Pro RTM(Release to manufacturing) so this is the FINAL version, the one which becames on October will have only more wallpapers and music sample diferences, maybe the clasic games like solitaire and others that are not includes on this version, you can recomend me which tests you like and ill do it and record it to show to all the good performance of this Windows.
UMPC: Sony Vaio VGN-UX480FN
Hardware: Processor: Intel Core 2 Solo 1.060 Ghz(Overclockled to 1.160Ghz) / SSD: 48GB / Ram Memory: 1GB
Details: CF Slot / Bluetooth / Extended batery / GPS Receiver / Black Housing
OS: 1)Windows 8 Pro / 2)Android X86 4.0.2 Ice Cream Sandwich
Software Mods: SetFsb(CPU Overclock) / GMABooster(GPU Overclock 400MHZ) / Bios Mod(Fixed Video Ram 251MB)

"Anything is acceptable if it leads to a successful result . . ."

biktor

Postby biktor » Fri Sep 28, 2012 20:09

bigs wrote:Ubuntu 12, is pretty refined now. It does not really need much tweaking to get it running good. As I run a u7700 on my UX, thereis not issues playing HD videos, be it 1080p or 720. The drivers for Intel GMA950 work really well.Playing 1080p videos uses like 60-70% CPUwihhc is acceptable.

I have not tried win8 yet, and will prob wait for it to come out in full release before trying it. How does win8 deal with memory? I know WIn7 does not perform well with 1Gb RAM, infact it is quite sluggish, and frequently uses the page file. Ubuntu, on the other hand uses very little memory, and allows me to multi task, IM, surfing multiple tabs, etc all at once.

It iwll be interesting how win8 will fare against ubuntu, as both are designed more for touch based devices. But being a Microsoft product, it may demand even more RAM than even Win7, as there is atrend for PCs to have more RAM as part of the planned obsolesce requirements

I tried Windows 8, but I can't stand the start menu (literally, it makes me mad, and I'm getting sick of using Windows 2012 at work and seeing the same crap on a nested terminal server session), and the fact that RDP over wifi makes the ux spin its fans at full speed and makes it lag even on Wordpad made me turn back to Windows 7 (after disabling system restore/windows defender /control center and some more stuff it works quite nicely).

My UX-280p is mostly stock, at least on cpu and memory (1.2ghz core, 1gb ram). I have a 32Gb SSD which is holding my Windows 7 install, and I installed an internal 32Gb USB stick for an alternate OS (right now BackTrack 5, soon to be replaced). Despite some little problems when booting off an external USB drive, I'm pretty glad with it. Now that Ubuntu is going to start getting ads from Amazon, I will probably turn to Kubuntu or LinuxMint...

By the way, to get full hardware support (except for the backside camera), on a fresh Debian / Ubuntu / Linux Mint install, run this after install (on a Terminal)

1. sudo -s

Then paste the next bunch of commands in the terminal:

add-apt-repository ppa:r5u87x-loader/ppa ; add-apt-repository ppa:fingerprint/fingerprint-gui ; apt-get update ; apt-get install r5u87x libbsapi policykit-1-fingerprint-gui fingerprint-gui xinput-calibrator ;/usr/share/r5u87x/r5u87x-download-firmware.sh ; apt-get dist-upgrade -y ; sync ; reboot

After the reboot you'll have installed all the available updates, the camera and fingerprint drivers and utilities. Now you'll only need to configure the touchscreen by running xinput_calibration, and get the system to get to know your fingers and you'll be able to login without using your password and use your screen correctly calibrated :)

Note fingerprint-gui won't work on KDE login screen (you'll have to use either Ubuntu's default LightDM, or GDM for that). Oh, and the nice thing of fingerprint-gui is that it also work on the terminal ;)

SleepersTide

Postby SleepersTide » Fri Jul 05, 2013 09:16

I can confirm that this fix works as intended in ubuntu 13.04 after a little bit of tweaking. If anyone is interested, reply or PM me and I'll help you with it.

bigs

Postby bigs » Sat Jul 06, 2013 03:04

good to know sleeperstide. I have this tweak running perfectly on ubuntu 12.04 lts.

Also another essential tweak is zram. Give an even more boost in performance by using compression swap in ram, essentially giving 1.5gb ram usable with no swap
micropc hardware: sony ux17gp with 390N mainboard with Anh u7700 upgrade core2duo 1.33ghz 1024mb (now upgraded to 64gb SLC SSD Samsung), Intel 4965 agn wireless, upgrade addon 3rd mini aerial, UX37GBN blue housing incorporating improved keyboard

sony 380N stock 1.33ghz, 1gb ram, and 40gb rotational drive OS: windows ultimate

light slim notebook: toshiba r200 1.3ghz 1.2gb ram 64gb photofast v1 ssd oS: linux ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn

antonizoon

Postby antonizoon » Thu Dec 19, 2013 20:02

I updated this fix to support kernels greater than 3.5, since the new kernels have slightly changed the `input_mt_init_slots` function. It now requires three parameters, so I just added 0 as the third. This guy figured it out first though: http://linuxsagas.digitaleagle.net/2013/10/14/ubuntu-13-04-finally-fixing-my-touchpad/

Here is a link to the updated patch, on github. Hopefully the OP can put it in the topic.

Here's my Github repository.

bigs

Postby bigs » Sun Dec 22, 2013 22:07

Wow, many than Antonizoon. I am still using Ubuntu 12.04 on my UX and loving it. It there much improvement in 13.04 to make one upgrade to that distro?

bigs

jam27

Postby jam27 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 16:31

antonizoon wrote:I updated this fix to support kernels greater than 3.5, since the new kernels have slightly changed the `input_mt_init_slots` function. It now requires three parameters, so I just added 0 as the third. This guy figured it out first though: http://linuxsagas.digitaleagle.net/2013/10/14/ubuntu-13-04-finally-fixing-my-touchpad/

Here is a link to the updated patch, on github. Hopefully the OP can put it in the topic.

Here's my Github repository.

How to install this patch on lubuntu , kernel 3.8? Do I need to install the old driver first (from post 1)?

jam27

Postby jam27 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 20:48

jam27 wrote:How to install this patch on lubuntu , kernel 3.8? Do I need to install the old driver first (from post 1)?

ok, unzip the new zip file, rename the directory to the mouse-ux compress and continue following the instructions from post 1 as root.

stevenh

Postby stevenh » Tue Aug 12, 2014 01:43

Hey all,
Full instructions for Linux Mint 17 on the UX490N here. Should work for any newer debian-based distributions (Ubuntu, etc...) on the Vaio UX.
Includes instructions to get the driver here installed.
Also includes an updated camera driver! Am currently dissecting the windows Camera switch software in hopes to get the rear camera working.
http://modelrail.otenko.com/vaio-ux/linux-mint-17-on-the-sony-vaio-ux490n-umpc

Return to “Linux OS”